Thread: 1D MKii vs 550D and vs 70D

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Ignore the CPU that's inside the camera, period. Putting a Digic99 into a camera instead of a Digic.001 just means that there's more computational power to execute the task of building the image files. If there was a way to remove the Digic5 from a 70D and drop in a Digic3, I'd bet you'd see a significant frame rate decrease. Likewise, if a CPU upgrade was possible, you'd probably see a more consistent frame rate at high ISO speeds.

The 1-series is going to have a higher quality sensor and a higher-capability A/D converter on the back end of the sensor. However, generational improvements have led to better sensor manufacturing techniques that provide a better image quality. If you're truly talking about a 1D2, you're talking about 2004 technology, which would be second-generation 1D vintage. The 550D is 2010 vintage, while the 70D is 2013 vintage. I would simply expect better image quality every two years, so the 70D is probably the winner there.

Hi peety3,

Thanks for your answer.

I understand your point about Digic5 and makes perfect sense, but about the IQ rather have you ever tried to compare?
    Even if the 70D would be the winner would be interesting to know by how much. How much better can it be?
    I think is a really interesting question, since many people could benefit from the information considering that older secondhand models cameras have a price tag considerably lower and this information would be welcomed by people with a low budget but that want to keep the IQ high...