Thread: Fenway / Boston

Fenway / Boston

I'm headed to Boston for a few days later this week and we've got tickets to a ballgame at Fenway this Sunday. Does anyone know how restrictive they are regarding DSLR's to Fenway Park? I checked on their website and it just says: "Cameras and video cameras are permitted inside Fenway Park, but cannot be used to reproduce the game and must not interfere with other fans' enjoyment of the game."

Sounds good and I don't anticipate any issue bringing a 5d3 and 24-105, however sometimes places can get particular about "pro" cameras. Just wanted to check and see if anyone has any personal experience with dslr access at Fenway.

Also, as mentioned, I'm headed to Boston for a few days with my wife and 7-month-old son. I've been to Boston briefly a few years ago, so I have a pretty good idea what to expect, however if anyone has any tips or suggestions on what to see or do I'm open to options! Only thing we have planned is a shopping day at Wrentham and the baseball game Sunday afternoon.

Thanks,
    Stephen

Anything up to a 70-200/2.8 sized lens is fine at Fenway Park. Enjoy your visit!

RE: suggestions, are you talking photographic opportunities or general things to do?

Thanks for the clarification regarding cameras at Fenway.

For suggestions, I'm refering to both photographic opportunities and things to do! Specifically, I would like to get a couple general family shots, I'm thinking maybe in boston common or somewhere along the waterfront? Preferably somewhere not too crowded as I'll be taking these with the camera on a tripod and remote. Also, our son is only 7 months old so he might get a bit distracted if there are alot of people around!

For things to do, I'm not really looking for anything specific, just idly wondering if anyone had suggestions for "must-see" items in the area or "must-do" items for traveling with a baby. I'm sure we'll find plenty to do anyway, but sometimes local knowledge is very helpfull!

Stephen

Hi Stephen,

I hope you enjoy your visit. Boston is a great place. As with any historic large city, there is a lot to do. But, before I get to Boston, as you are driving down, you'll pass Portsmouth, NH and Newburyport, MA. Both are nice historic old seaports that now have touristy downtowns. One of them is worth a quick stop. If you go with Newburyport, you could continue through it all the way to Plume Island where Parker River NWR is located. I was just there last week and saw 2 GBH, 4 Great Egrets, and a couple of Hawks/Harriers. Plus, the beach is amazing. My favorite place to eat in Newburyport is Michael's Harborside but Black Cow is also good. Both are on the Merrimack River with great views. In Portsmouth, Poco's, River House or Surf are all on Bow street with views of the river.

On to Boston, things to do for a family include:
    • Museum of Science. I still enjoy this, especially the Omni shows. Your baby is likely too young, so this may not be the best.
    • Art Museum
    • Aquarium.
    • Harbor/light house and other boat tours leave from right by the Aquarium
    • Dinner in the North End (Italian part of Boston) is usually great, or if you simply want some great pastries try Mikes (most popular) or Modern (maybe a bit better) bakeries
    • Quincy Markets are a nice historic market where you could now shop or grab something to eat.
    • Historic buildings include:
      • Copley Square with the Trinity Church and Library
      • State House
      • Old North Church

• There is old Ironsides (USS Constitution) over in Charlestown Harbor
    • Then if you are up for a hike, there is the Freedom trail that takes you from USS Constitution, through Boston finishing off at the Boston Commons. If you cross a red line while walking around, that is the Freedom trail.
    • Bunker Hill Memorial in Charlestown

Nice places to photograph include many of the above, but I'd also throw in the Back Bay Fens, the capital dome, and a view of Boston from Cambridge/near the MIT campus.

A few of my shots...
    From a boat tour:

small-3805 by kayaker72, on Flickr
    The aquarium is on the left.

Boston's Back Bay from near the MIT campus in Cambridge:

Boston-1418 by kayaker72, on Flickr
    Boston from same location:

Boston-1407 by kayaker72, on Flickr

Bunker Hill Memorial:

Bunker Hill-1426 by kayaker72, on Flickr

Enjoy your trip!
    Brant
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 09-22-2013 at 11:18 AM.

Don't forget the Gaslight in Portsmouth. I'm not only saying that because I work there either, its great food! But, all those places Brant mentioned are worth visiting.

Thanks for all the tips! We actually didn't drive there (flight instead) so were not able to see the sights of Portsmouth or Newburyport this trip. Sounds interesting though, so maybe next time.

Overall we had a pretty good trip and tried to take it easy with Andrew. He travelled quite well and really enjoyed playing in the grass at boston common and the other parks throughout the area. Now I have alot of pictures to sort through... I'll post a couple in a few days when I've had a chance to post-process some of the pile.

Thanks again for the help.

Stephen

Took a little while, but as promised here are a couple pictures of our trip:

Boston_020 by NFLD Stephen, on Flickr

Boston_031 by NFLD Stephen, on Flickr

Boston_064 by NFLD Stephen, on Flickr

Thanks again!
    Stephen