Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Upgrade Path

You will like this lens.

I think the biggest advantage of this lens over the 100-400mm is the exceptional IQ between 100-200mm.

If you use the 2x III with it let me know how you think it compares to the 100-400mm at 400.

Enjoy! It's my second most-used lens...

Thanks Guys!
    Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    If you use the 2x III with it let me know how you think it compares to the 100-400mm at 400.
    Will do. I am going to order the 2x TC in separately in a week or two once I check out the lens.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    I've jumped on the $1,899 deal for the 70-200 mm f/2.8. Concerns about its size, weight and if it is really the best option for me linger a bit, but I'll evaluate it over the next couple of weeks. I'll pick it up Friday.
    Congratutaions on the lens.

This does look like a good deal. I was going to wait until after Christmas to see if the prices would come down to this level. I am in the U.K. this week, I hope it is still available at this price when I get back, and then I will see if I can swing it or have to wait a little longer. I have been wanting this one for a while now.

Pat
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

Thanks everyone. I've jumped on the $1,899 deal for the 70-200 mm f/2.8. Concerns about its size, weight and if it is really the best option for me linger a bit, but I'll evaluate it over the next couple of weeks. I'll pick it up Friday. And while I am likely no longer in the market for a new lens, feel free to mention some of these older manual focus lenses that are well liked. I know nothing about older lenses and if they are inexpensive enough, I may give one a try. Especially for landscapes.
    I've recently gotten into the Olympus OM mount Zuiko lenses. They are easy to adapt to EOS mount and have no reported mirror interference issues on Canon full frame. Others like the Carl Zeiss lenses in Contax/Yashica mount and which give much the same look as the current Zeiss "ZE" lenses for native Canon mount. Some of the Zeiss C/Y mount lenses do have mirror clearance issues.

There's lots of other stuff too... some really like Minolta Rokkor lenses, but they are not as easy to adapt to EOS mount and could have mirror / infinity focus issues. Others use Takamur, Yashica, etc...

One lens you could try to see if you like all manual everything is the OM Zuiko 28mm f/3.5 It costs about $40, is tiny, and has a great reputation for being sharp right into full frame corners. You'd need an adapter, I'd recommend the $15 OM to EOs adapter from Fotodiox.

Here's an image of mine

2013_10_24_4442_upd by dthrog00, on Flickr

I haven't processed many of my Zuiko images yet, but here are some:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/6825585...uikoolympusom/

Dave
    Last edited by Dave Throgmartin; 11-13-2013 at 02:06 AM.

Thanks everyone. I've jumped on the $1,899 deal for the 70-200 mm f/2.8. Concerns about its size, weight and if it is really the best option for me linger a bit, but I'll evaluate it over the next couple of weeks. I'll pick it up Friday. And while I am likely no longer in the market for a new lens, feel free to mention some of these older manual focus lenses that are well liked. I know nothing about older lenses and if they are inexpensive enough, I may give one a try. Especially for landscapes.
    I have the 2x as well and I think this is my favorite lens. Yea it is heavy, but you get used to it - I doubt you will regret it.
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

A quick update and then my current questions. I am absolutely enjoying the 70-200 II. I am using it all the time. The weight really doesn't bother me. I have heard a comment or two about the size. It definitely stands out, but, more important, it does not seem to cause people to act unnaturally. At least, not any more so than with another lens on my 5DIII.

So, for those of you that have followed my upgrade path. I had no luck with the 24-70 II. I continue to read about issues so I am going to hold off on that lens for awhile longer. I flirted with a sale on the 500 mm f/4. But that flirtation ended after adding up everything I would want to go along with it and checking that amount against my budget

So, I've turned my attention to enhancing my kit with a dedicated "landscape" lens. I thought that would be easy. First complication I ran into: the 24-105, which I own, is already Bryan's #1 rated landscape lens. And looking at different charts, I can see why. It isn't the "best" but it is consistently good from f/5.6 to f/11 over a wide focal range. So I started thinking about types of shots that I currently can not make and came up with three categories that, of course, would result in 2-3 different lenses: 1) Tilt Shift (TSE 24 f/3.5 II). In addition to being perhaps the sharpest wide angle lens corner to corner, I've been very interested in correcting for perspective distortion in a variety of my shots, and experimenting with different focal plans. 2) A fast prime a little for a little thinner DoF and low light shooting but primarily for nightscapes/milky way shots (Canon 24 f/1.4, Zeiss 21 mm f/2.8 or 25 mm f/2); and 3) a UWA lens (Canon 16-35 or 17-40). While 24 mm is typically wide enough for me, it occasionally isn't and I have recently booked a trip that includes half a day touring slot canyons in Arizona, where it will be needed (or course, I could rent for this one trip).

To complete my kit, I have started leaning toward the EF 16-35 II. Potentially, it could be used for both UWA and nightscape shots. But, I have rarely seen such divergent analysis results from review sites for any lens and you don't have to search too far to find a number of people spending a lot of time complaining about it's soft edges, coma, and general lack of sharpness. It is almost as disparaged as the 24-105....

So, my question to those of you that have the EF 16-35 II....is it really that bad? Or is it actually a really good UWA zoom and at least a pretty good lens for nightscapes/milky way shots?

Thanks in advance.....

So, my question to those of you that have the EF 16-35 II....is it really that bad? Or is it actually a really good UWA zoom and at least a pretty good lens for nightscapes/milky way shots?
    We've owned a 16-35II for about five years, and a EF-S 10-22 for about two years. Now that we're moving to FF (she has a 5D3, I have two 1Dx), the 10-22 is on loan to my dad, the 16-35 is in my bag, and the 14/2.8 is in her bag, but honestly I "steal" the 14/2.8 whenever she's not using it because it's got a nice magic to it. That said, I'm looking to get into more sports photography, and while shooting a HS girls basketball game Friday night, the 16-35 was a fun alternative to the 24-70/2.8 (alongside the 70-200/2.8IS) and the zoom versatility was very useful. In prep for tonight's game, I've decided to put the 14/2.8 on my "old" 1D3 as a floor remote, partly to overcome crop factor and partly to keep zoom functionality available to me.

If someone asked me for advice, I think I'd tell them to either go big to get the 14/2.8, go small and save their pennies with the 17-40/4, or go balls to the wall with the Zeiss 15.

Re the 16-35 - I've had mine over a year and previously had a 10-22 - I love it, I don't worry about the softness that people go on about.

My mistake in retrospect was to buy the 16-35 before I got the 24-70 II - a lens that blows me away - looking again, I'd get a 14/15mm prime either Canon or Zeiss

Other than that, still love my 135L but what next ? I'd probably be looking at adding a 70-200 2.8 IS II and a 8-15mm fisheye - I'd love something longer than my 70-300L but a 500/600 is probably many years away for me.

What else ? A second body perhaps. ?

I suspect you would love the 16-35mm II for landscapes....my son-in-law has one and I have used it and it is very nice. Landscapes look great to me but I am not a pixel peeper. I have read that the coma effect is a problem for astro-photography but I have no experience there. I have used it for indoor shots at family events too....it functions quite well as a general UWA zoom but not as useful as the 24-70mm f2.8 in that regard (I understand you are not considering it now but that focal length range is really nice and it goes so well with your 70-200 too)

I do own a 17-40 and a 35 f/1.4 both of which I really like. I have no complaints with the 17-40 on landscapes but I am sure the 16-35 has slightly better IQ especially away from center. I bought the 17-40 because of the cost differential and I did not think I needed f/2.8 For indoor/lower light events I crank up my 1DX ISO or add some fill flash. Currently I do not do any astrophotography.

I think the Canon 24mm f/1.4 or 14mm f/2.8 or Zeiss 21mm f/2.8 would be the best (and most expensive) for starscapes as the 35 is not wide enough.

You could try some stitched-panos with your 70-200 too, you might be pleasantly surprised.