Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dream with me: Alaska cruise, money is no object

Quote Originally Posted by peety3 View Post
    What are you envisioning with the TS17 and/or TS24? I've rented both in the past for other reasons, and they hadn't jumped anywhere near the top of my list for the cruise. Likewise, what are you envisioning with the 24/1.4? In my head, the "value" of a 24 would be wide-angle shots with the balcony railing in a corner for perspective, and at f/1.4 (or nearly so) only a small sliver will be focused, which in my head seems like a less-desirable shot than f/8 and tripod (in which case I have that covered with the 24-70, or perhaps the TS24).

I've done the intervalometer thing for time lapse, and liked the results: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL47E5215D4BA0EA1C That was done with a 40D and the 10-22 zoomed out to 10mm. For convenience of dual memory card slots and longer battery life, I'd love to pick up a used 1Ds3 and put our 16-35 on it for similar work, but that might be beyond my ability to justify between now and next summer.

Thanks all for the input, and keep it coming! I have a surprise to toss out, but I'll wait a few weeks before I peel back the lid on that.
    The Tilt/Shifts are becasue I have never used one, and always wanted to. Also, I assume any cruise around Alaska would allow some land excursions, which is when I would like to take a the 24 TSE to get some super sharp landscapes with DOF from your nose to forever. The 17mm TSE is because the 24mm may not be wide enough for the grandness of Alaska.

The 24mm f/1.4L II is for night shots of the stars. The f/1.4 plus a high ISO camera should allow for great shots with a fairly short shutter speed (see some of Jonathans recent shot http://www.huyerperspectives.com/Lan...ta#!/i-8VZpDQK ), but maybe not a short enough shutter speed for a moving boat. As for the DOF, with a FF camera and focused at the hyperfocal distance of 44.6', the DOF at f/1.4 is from 22.3' to infinity. That alows me to get a pretty good foreground and a nice star filled sky in sharp focus. Works for me.

If you want some easy time laps shots... get a GoPro with different stick-on mounts. Stick a mount on the side of the boat where no one will see it and let it start taking pictures or movies. It sets up easy, it takes decent pictures, it comes with a water proof housing, you can set it up and walk away, and it is cheap. Here is my first attempt at a time laps: http://www.flickr.com/photos/60479608@N05/9338641160/

Pat
    Last edited by conropl; 08-30-2013 at 02:38 AM.
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

I thought either a 24mm f/1.4 was missing from Joel's list as well.
    I think I would add it and the 35mm f/1.4 L and leave the 16-35mm behind. You just wouldn't need it.
    I would think you would get some good land / seascape views on a cruise, but what do I know I have never been.

Also the 100mm macro? Great lens but not sure where it will come in handy. Maybe bed bugs in your cabin?

How about adding a Lee Holder and a good set of filters.

I would much rather have a helicopter than a cruise ship. A helicopter with a couple of high performance snow mobiles on the skids, so it would need to be a big helicopter. You can hire a bush pilot for relatively cheap up there in Alaska, then get some dirbikes or high performance snow mobiles wherever you choose to go.

So if you go on the cruise ship, make sure to take pictures of all the people with intestinal viruses and get good shots of the engine room catching on fire and make sure to take lots of long lenses so you can see to across all the water.

I've actually done a cruise up there, it is wicked. But it is also cool to go inland to remote places. I didnt have a bush pilot up there but I know some and they're crazy.

I would take my 5D3 with the 24-70 LII and be happy with it. Maybe I would prefer covert insertion into North Korea or something, take an extra 1600mm L lens or something to that effect. I would certainly need a sat phone with good data to get my images out fast in case a sniper shoots me or something.

Regardless of where I am going, with the largest Lensrental gift certificate ever but still going on a trip, I am going to try a couple of cinema lenses. If I had to decide right now, I'd probably grab the CN-E 24 T1.5 and the CN-E 30-300 T2.95-3.7. Just checked and lensrentals doesn't seem to rent the CN-E....but in my dream they would. I don't believe I saw anyone mention smaller cameras, with the biggest lens rentals gift certificate ever, I'd probably rent the Leica M9 or Sony RX1, something to put under the coat and take fishing with me in Alaska .

Other than that, and getting more specific about Alaska, I am in pretty much agreement with others, I'd have the 1.4x and 2.0x TC's. I don't recall seeing them mentioned, but I'd do something like this:

Hiking "Kit"

24-70 f/2.8 II
    70-200 f/2.8 IS II
    2x TC
    Various filters and light weight tripod stand (you know I am going looking for a waterfall)
    As I am on a cruise, these would be day trips, but I may still rent a f-stop Loka pack.

Bear Viewing "Kit"

1.4x and 2x TC
    24-70 f/2.8 II
    200-400 f/4 1.4tc
    600 mm f/4 II
    800 mm f/5.6
    Tripod system

Eagle Viewing "Kit"
    Probably about the same as the Bear Viewing "Kit"...I've read about some locations were the eagles are very close to you, so probably throw in the 70-200 f/2.8 IS II

Landscape

24 mm f/1.4
    24-70 f/2.8 II
    70-200 f/2.8 IS II
    (could add a prime or two here)
    Needed filters and filter holding systems.
    Tripod
    Medium format system (going with Lensrentals, the Pentax 645D, but normally would have considered others)

Ok...time to wake up and go to work....I think I pretty much ignored any size or carrying capacity limitations....but hey, my dream....
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 08-30-2013 at 01:03 PM.

Dream with me: Alaska cruise, money is no object

Iron man suit will solve the transportation issues

Arnt
    Arnt

OK folks, time to "step it up" on this one. LensRentals' Black Friday sale is right around the corner, and I'd like to put in a reservation for the cruise while I can take advantage of 25% off. I'll toss out my initial thoughts, and let you folks nudge me in other directions if you see fit.

Parameters: my wife and I both shoot Canon, and we want to approach a point where we each have a "full kit" independently (i.e. we don't have to borrow from each other to get most shots).

Current gear: bodies 1Dx, 1Dmk3, 5Dmk3, 7D, 7D. lenses 14/2.8, 16-35/2.8II, 24-70/2.8, 24-105/4IS, 70-200/4IS, 70-200/2.8IS, 85/1.2, 100/2.8 IS Macro.
    Likely purchases between now and then: second 1Dx, 300/4IS, 1.4x TC

Key parameter: she's a "don't move my cheese" shooter who prefers lighter weight gear. She gets the 5D3 and likely the two 7D. She's not good at managing shutter speed via ISO to overcome that which IS would fix, so IS is essential where appropriate.

(* means item to rent)

Dream/overkill kit: for me, 1Dx with 600/4II* and 1.4x TC, 1D3 with 300/4IS, 1Dx with 70-200/4 non-IS*, 24-70/2.8 in a lens case, Zeiss 15/2.8* in lens case. for her, 7D with 200-400/4&1.4x, 7D with 70-200/4IS, 5D3 with 24-105/4IS, 14/2.8 in a lens case. Monopod for each of us to handle the heavy lens. My concern is if she decides the 200-400 is too heavy for her, I end up with the 600/4 and the 200-400/4, which is potentially an unmanageable combination on two monopods. I also think the 600 could be too much for whale watching, and would potentially earn second fiddle as "just" a bird lens.

Likely choice: for me, 1Dx with 200-400/4&1.4x*, 1D3 with 70-200/4 non-IS*, 1Dx with 24-70/2.8, Zeiss 15/2.8* in a lens case. for her, 7D with 300/4IS, 7D with 70-200/4IS, 5D3 with 24-105, 14/2.8 in a lens case. Monopod for the 200-400. Lighter weight overall, skips the 600/4II altogether while "rebalancing" the pieces.

General thoughts: leave the 70-200/2.8IS home. She may take the 100 Macro as well. I might rent (or buy) the Zeiss 100 Macro to take as well. Don't know if I'll take the 85/1.2. Any other specialty lenses that'll see decent use that you'd recommend? Any other lens combinations you can think of? 16-35 just doesn't have much "magic" as I remember it, so I prefer the Zeiss 15.

Your "likely choice" seems pretty darn good. Your longest lens will 560 f/5.6. Unless you have a second 1.4x TC to stack on the 200-400 f/4 + 1.4x. Your wife will max out at the equivalent to 480 f/4 without a 1.4x TC.

You mention monopods but no tripod. I understand if you'd only be shooting wildlife, but I would think that a tripod could be very helpful with landscapes.

Sounds like a great trip.

Quote Originally Posted by peety3 View Post
    I also think the 600 could be too much for whale watching, and would potentially earn second fiddle as "just" a bird lens.
    I would think you would use that combo w/ a TC on a 7d for bear watching too - I recall a video about a bear and a camera that Roger gave us last year.
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

Honestly, I'm not much of a landscape shooter, and there's also something to be said about being able to open the doors without having to reach around 17 lens cases dangling from every corner of my vest. I figure I will carry the 200-400 with camera attached by its tripod foot, and ball-bungee the monopod to the lens. I can carry the 24-70 over my neck and the 70-200 from my other shoulder. One lens case, maybe two, can hang from my photo belt. It'll be crazy enough to take the camera off the 200-400 and attach it to the Z15; I think it could be even crazier if I'm juggling a TS as well.

The 600 is an attractive idea for bear watching, but I seem to be struggling to land any truly good bear tours. I see the logic in putting the 600 on a 7D for ultimate reach, but I'm "addicted" to having the big wheel set for ISO, which isn't possible in the 7D. I manage ISO aggressively to keep noise low while also dialing up my shutter speed if I'm facing vibrations or other challenges. As such, the 1D bodies remain my workhorses. I'm also a little hesitant to roll with two primes at the upper end of my range, knowing that I'm normally a zoom shooter.

I anticipate taking a tripod with gimbal head and a tripod with ballhead for on-ship use (balcony, out on deck). I'm also going to buy a monopod soon and get plenty of practice "tossing" the monopod into my left elbow so I can grab an alternate camera quickly.

Random thought: if Canon releases a new 100-400, I suspect my whole plan goes out the window.