Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Lens to buy my wife ???

What Lens to buy my wife ???

My wife has had a canon digital slr camera for about 3 years ( dont know which model) and has been content taking snapsof family holidays etc but now she wants to take up wildlife photography and is complainig that she needs a different lens. Any suggestions that wont break the bank but will leave me smelling of roses. thanks

Re: What Lens to buy my wife ???

Telephoto.

For affordable, I'd say

EF-s 55-250mm

or

EF 70-300mm f/4-f/5.6 IS USM

If you really want to be nice to her,

EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM

or

EF 400mm f/5.6L USM

If you REALLY want to be nice to her, Canon 500 f/4 L IS USM.

Alternatively, consider getting a solution for those super long distance scenarios:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/800622963-USE/Canon_2527A001_Super_Telephoto_1200mm_f_5_6L.html

[]

On a more serious note, I would suggest the same as Colin - Both the 55-250 IS and the EF 70-300 IS USM are great lenses. Also, if you are considering the EF-S 55-250 IS, make sure that the camera body she has is EF-S compatible (50D, 40D, T1i, Xsi, Xti, Xt, etc..).

Good luck with your search!

- Alex

I also second Colin's recommendations: spot on.

Whatever lens she wants and forget the bank.

And while this may seem like a glib answer, give it some thought. There is some shortfall with any single lens you can pick. Too long, too short, to heavy, too expensive, too cheap. While an informed selection now might buy you some short term contentment a wise decision will buy a lifetime of peace. Which end of the next round of complaints do you want to be on? []

I've recommended the 50mm f/1.8 multiple times, and the guys who have listened have been well rewarded. The 50/1.4 is a better choice if you feel that the budget is there.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

peety3, 50mm for wildlife???[^o)]

Making an assumtion that the camera is a 1.6 crop body (EOS Rebel, XTi, etc.) and she wants to shoot wildlife you migt want to check the 400mm f5.6. This glass does not have image stablization, but most often you would start with a tripod or monopod, then work up to hand held. Learning to shoot hand held without IS would be a great benefit later on. It helps develop skills. The 400 f5.6 is L glass and is known for sharpness. It is around $1200 at B&H and can be reviewed on this site.It will be the the equivelant of 640mm on crop bodies. Just the thing for wildlife and this glass will be a keeper, at least till you win the lotto.

JeffersonPoster

Even if I won the lotto, I would keep the 400mm f/5.6. Sure, I'd like an arsenal of the big guns from 200-1200mm, but if you consider the quality and reach you get in such a portable, dinky package... I'll never give it up, unless an IS version comes out.

I haven't been able to afford a lens I couldn't comfortably carry, but weight is important, particularly when you've got a backpack full of lenses. Between a 100-400 f/4.5-5.6, a 70-200 f/2.8, a 180mm f/3.5 Macro, a 80mm f/1.2, a 35mm f/1.4, a 24-105 f/4, a couple of bodies, and a laptop, it gets heavy walking around.

I can only imagine trying to travel with a 400 f/2.8. I wouldn't complain, but.... []

Sorry, asleep at the wheel.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.