Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bryan's 600EX-RT review posted

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    Yes, if I really need wireless for both, I could get the CyberSync setup. The PocketWizard transmitter/transceiver don't accept an input, so there's no way to connect them to the PC terminal. Likewise, while the PWs have hotshoes on bottom and top, and will pass through with a master flash and allow those settings to be transmitted via PW radio, that setup does not work to trigger via both PW radio (for a monolight) and Canon RT flash. I hoped it would, but no joy.
    I'm reading between the lines a bit here - are you saying the PW "filters" the data stream such that the PW-mounted flash is incapable of serving as a master, only as an "individual contributor" flash? I'm curious, as I've done the "stack the Profoto Air remote atop a PW Mini atop a camera" hack before (to trigger key/fill Profoto D1 Airs, plus PW-ed 580EX II hair/background lights), and I'm contemplating doing the "PW Mini/Flex atop the camera to trigger a remote Flex, which in turn triggers the Profoto Air remote to trigger my D1 Airs" so that I can use multiple cameras without buying multiple Profoto Air Remotes yet.

I honestly don't recall whether it was the PW-triggered Einstein or the RT-triggered 600's, but one of them didn't when I stacked the ST-E3 on the MiniTT1.

Edon
    I have read the review.
    What I want to see, not read now, is how powerful the 600ex rt is to the 430ex ii, I plan on buying either one of those flashes end of this month pay day, including shipping tax and duties on the 600ex rt if thats what I buy.

Is it possible someone can link me to pictures and or video directly comparing the flash powers of the 600ex rt and the 430ex ii, I do not want to regret my choice.

I already have the Canon 7D and efs 15-85mm and my main reason for a flash in addition to personal reasons, is to make money!

Quote Originally Posted by Edon View Post
    What I want to see, not read now, is how powerful the 600ex rt is to the 430ex ii, I plan on buying either one of those flashes end of this month pay day, including shipping tax and duties on the 600ex rt if thats what I buy.

I already have the Canon 7D and efs 15-85mm and my main reason for a flash in addition to personal reasons, is to make money!
    Welcome to the forums.

Depends on the focal lengths you plan to use. I suspect you can find exactly what you're looking for you if you simply google a comparison between the 430 and the 580. The 600 isn't any brighter than a 580, but the head can zoom to 200mm EFL, thereby concentrating the light tighter for longer reach at the expense of breadth of coverage. For lenses of 105mm and shorter EFL, you won't see a difference between the 580 and 600.

If you're in it for personal reasons, I'd encourage you to consider one of two approaches: 430 now and 600 later, or 600 now and ST-E3-RT later.

Edon
    You are right, the guid number of the 600ex rt to the 580ex ii is only two points up, only real difference between the 2 is range, which is far easier to visualise as we all know distance, than the power of technology I dont have experience with.

And yes we all used cameras with built in flash, though you know what I mean.

And there are no direct comparisons between 600ex rt 430ex ii.
    So your idea is great! thanks

Not sure how helpful a visual demonstration would be, but guide number differences certainly aren't a very useful comparator.

If it helps, the 600EX-RT has light output that's ~2/3-stop greater than the 430EX II. So, if you needed ISO 640 with the 430EX II, you could use ISO 400 with the 600EX-RT, or if you needed f/2.8 with the 430, you could stop down to f/3.5 for a bit more DoF with the 600.

Lots of other useful features on the 600, like better head rotation, the catchlight panel, weather sealing, etc.