Thread: Lens Repairable (?)

Lens Repairable (?)

I'm writing this quick post for an answer to a question real quick!

I'm going to bid on a damaged 28-70mm f/2.8L and want to know something.

"This is a lens I was using right up to last week when It banged against
    my knee and the end of the lens mount came off. Looks like the inner
    plastic mount came apart where the rear metal mount screws hold it
    together with the four screws."

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.26.43/_2100_BSf40Vw_2100_mk_7E0024002800_KGrHgoH_2D00_DU EjlLlypo6BKDew03kv_21007E007E005F00_1.JPG[/img]

Based off the photo and information, would I be able to send this in for repair and an estimated cost? The seller writes that the only thing wrong is the mount.

Thanks!

Re: Lens Repairable (?)

Hmm....Considering it's a discontinued lens, I'm not sure. If it can be fixed by Canon, it'd certainly be worth buying if you got it cheaply enough. The BGN price of one on KEH is about $750. I wish you the best of luck!

Garrett--

I would suggest skipping over it. Why?
    • Although it could probably be repaired, the rear element could easily be scratched. If it is not scratched, it could be during shipping.
    • L lenses are very tough. I doubt that you could break one on a knee without hitting it extremely hard.

Quote Originally Posted by ShutterbugJohan

L lenses are very tough. I doubt that you could break one on a knee without hitting it extremely hard.

<div style="clear: both;"]</div>

That's exactly what I thought. I wouldn't buy an L lens which was broken by a guy's knee - that sounds odd to me.

Thanks for the info. I currently hold the highest bid at $103, and as long as it stays under $150 I'm going to continue to bid. I'm going to request additional photos of the elements and how it was performing before the it broke.

And I did an estimate at precision camera and if it's only the rear mount that broken and assuming the glass and AF is intact, the repair would be about $294.

I mean c'mon, this L lens for +/-$150 and a $300 repair? That's sounds like a good deal to me. All-in-all if it turns out more than the mount is broken, or it's unrepairble, I'm only out +/-$150 and get to have a classic L lens.

Quote Originally Posted by Garrett-Grimsley
    I currently hold the highest bid at $103, and as long as it stays under $150 I'm going to continue to bid.

Did you get it?

Nah. I put my high bid to like $190 and left it there. Wasn't able to get back before the bid ended and some dude got it for $195. &gt;_&gt;