Thread: 17-85IS lens creep?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: 17-85IS lens creep?

I once owned the lens and it creeps from day one, and I also see other copy of 17-85 lenses creep. So I guess it's a rather common phenomenon.

I doubt if there's anything you can do about it rather than just hold it tight when shooting with big angles. My 24-70L after quite some time of use creeps just slightly when zoomed out to 24mm and sit upright.But if it creeps really badly, you may want to drop by Canon service centre and you should be eligible for a free repair especially when the lens is still covered by warantee.

Bottom line is that lens creeping will not affect the image quality, as you may already know.

My 17-85 is only 5 weeks old so I don't know if that helps or not, but it doesn't creep at all.

I've had my 17-85 for a few years and never had any creep at all.

Hmm... May be that's because I added a thick Tiffen class filter onto the lens as well as a lens hood and that added some weight and the lens barrel wonldn't hold the weight anymore?... But certainly I have seen enough 17-85 lenses creep.

Interesting. Mine has a B&W UV filter and Hood and still doesn't creep at all.

Mine has a B+W UV filter as well - I doubt that a hood will cause it to creep... actually, if you can cause my lens to creep by putting a hood on it, I'm giving you my 50D + 17-85 as a prize! []

Quote Originally Posted by Oren

Mine has a B+W UV filter as well - I doubt that a hood will cause it to creep... actually, if you can cause my lens to creep by putting a hood on it, I'm giving you my 50D + 17-85 as a prize! [img]/emoticons/emotion-5.gif[/img]
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

*Starts custom fabrication of custom lens hood made with section of 4" galvanized plumbing pipe*

*looks forward to his new 50D/17-85*