Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Canon rebel T5 (1200D) Q&A

Hi Zach,

To give it a fair evaluation, make sure you use it in really good light. Without IS that long end will need a shutter speed of roughly 1/500 or faster if you are not using a tripod. Although I haven't used it personally, the general consensus is that it produces soft images. That said, if used properly it is still an upgrade from your P&S. Just make sure motion blur doesn't compound the problem. As was mentioned, if you find you are not happy the 55-250 is a good go to. This being your first DSLR I think you will find that having IS will really free up your use of this focal length. The ability to to shoot at lower ISO = better pictures. The difference between ISO 12,800 and ISO 800 is gigantic.

Zach
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickH View Post
    Hi Zach,

To give it a fair evaluation, make sure you use it in really good light. Without IS that long end will need a shutter speed of roughly 1/500 or faster if you are not using a tripod. Although I haven't used it personally, the general consensus is that it produces soft images. That said, if used properly it is still an upgrade from your P&S. Just make sure motion blur doesn't compound the problem. As was mentioned, if you find you are not happy the 55-250 is a good go to. This being your first DSLR I think you will find that having IS will really free up your use of this focal length. The ability to to shoot at lower ISO = better pictures. The difference between ISO 12,800 and ISO 800 is gigantic.
    thanks for the info Patrick, and yes it's a big upgrade from what I have now