4 40.00%
  • M_Six

0 0%
  • Kayaker72

6 60.00%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Congratulations Kayaker72---Assignment #65: "Before and After"

Congratulations Kayaker72---Assignment #65: "Before and After"

On behalf of conropl, I would like to present the finalists for Assignment #65: Before and After.

The topics as described by conropl:

For this assignment I would like to see Before and After shots. The After shots should demonstrate a technique or process that transformed a plain dull shot into something extraordinary. This can be the first shot was dull so you changed the lighting, composition, or concept to really make it come to life; or perhaps you extended the exposure time to create a completely different effect than you expected or started out with; or perhaps the post processing really brought it to life (B&W, HDR, etc.). You are free to interpret as you wish, and the after effect can be done in camera or in post processing.

Knowing you folks, I am pretty sure I can learn a thing or two with this assignment, and I thank you in advance.

The Finalists:

A lot of good entries and I do not quite feel right about leaving some really good shots out. But I had to choose, so here are my picks:

jerrytech1 (brownnnBW)
    - I like the B&W processing, but the crop and cloning helped a lot as well. The "after" has a totally different feel to it.
    Before:

After:

dd0725 (Digitally Painted Cardinal with Canvas Texture) - Denise had a lot of really good examples, but the cardinal "after" version took a rather ordinary shot with a bird that was to small to do anything with it (or that is what I would have thought) and transformed it to something that could easily hang on a wall. I was amazed at what Denise could do with what I thought was a throw away shot. Denise - you make my post processing look like child's play.

Before:

After:

M_Six (Pseudo HDR) - This went from a tourists snap shot to a nice travel landscape. The shot looks so much better with the people removed, the perspective & crop adjusted, and the water looks so much better. The overall feel is much improved.

Before:

After:

Kayaker72 (Horseshoe Bend) - I was amazed at what you pulled out of the shadows in this one... and at the same time, you managed to tame the highlights that were a little blow around the sun. This was an eye opener for me at how far you can go in post processing. Great finished image.

Before:

After:

Good luck!
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 07-29-2014 at 12:37 PM.

I vote for Denise - she has had some very interesting production improvements
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

Before:
    brown by jerrytech1, on Flickr

After: Cropped, removed leash and added Topaz BW FilterbrownnnBW
    by jerrytech1, on Flickr

This is not my entry. It may not be the best photo, but it shows good before and after. First is SOC. Second I processed in LR using Curves and bringing out a little color, then moved to PS and used LAB color effect.

There are a couple landscapes so I may look for a portrait to enter.
    Last edited by Jayson; 06-11-2014 at 04:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Busted Knuckles View Post
    I vote for Denise - she has had some very interesting production improvements
    lol! Thanks for the vote! Guess I will have to find one to enter to make the vote legit ...once I ever figure out how to add photos from the new flickr!

re: new flickr...

On the strip of meaningless icons, click on the box with the arrow coming out of it (sharing).
    Click BBCode.
    Click the size dropdown and pick a good size. I still use 800, since it's an option, even though the forum is slightly wider now.
    Copy the generated snippet of code and paste into a reply.
    Once here, if you want to preview what it looks like, after putting in your BBCode, hit the 'Go Advanced' button, you'll see your image.
    If you need to edit, after editing click preview post and you'll see the new version.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725 View Post
    ...once I ever figure out how to add photos from the new flickr!

• When you are viewing a picture in flickr, there is a string on thumb nails to the right of the picture, and right below that is a series of symbols (and below those are the comments on your photos).
    • One of those symbols under the thumb nails is a box with an arrow pointing up through the upper right corner . That symbol is for sharing... click on it.
    • Then click "BBCode" under all the social media sites symbols.
    • Now pick the size.
    • Copy and paste the code.

Edit: Opps... looks like David beat me to it while I was typing (I am a slow typer)
    Last edited by conropl; 06-04-2014 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Opps... looks like David beat met to it while I was typing (I am a slow typer)
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

Thank you , David & Pat! I thought that was what I tried earlier this morning but I was getting an error message. I will try again ...obviously, I was doing something wrong.

Ok, here is one I did not too long ago. I just started learning how to paint digitally and this is one of the first one's that I attempted to practice on. Since I had just started learning how to use a Wacom tablet and digitally paint, I was pretty pleased with the result.

Off-duty K9 officer (and fellow Packer fan) ...

Before & After Digital Painting by Denise Trocio (D Trocio Photography), on Flickr

Ok, so I love this assignment topic!

BEFORE:

IMG_9289_Before Editing by Denise Trocio (D Trocio Photography), on Flickr

AFTER:

Ahoy, Mates! by Denise Trocio (D Trocio Photography), on Flickr