Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My child is now 2 years old, what should my next purchase be?

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    I have all three Lowepro Toploader Pro bags (65/70/75), they're great. I use them for body+lens, or more. I have Lens Cases to strap an extra lens to the outside, or a Wuick Flex Pouch 75 for a 600EX-RT flash. With the Toploader 75, I can put a fast prime (35L:85L/135L) in the bottom with a 24-70/2.8 II on the camera. Very versatile!!
    Absolutely! I fit my Thinktank SD Pixel Pocket Rocket with 9 SD cards in the top pocket alongside business cards and an IR trigger, a intervalometer and battery charger or 580EX II in the front pocket, a black rapid RS-7 in the unsecured side pocket, a 17-55mm F/2.8 IS in a lens case on the sliplock attachment, and then my main gripped body with a 70-200mm F/2.8 IS II on camera. It's incredible how much you can fit in these bags, and they're easy to quickly slide out of the way and forget about while out on a hike or shoot.
    Gear list:
    Canon 60D gripped, 70-200mm F/2.8 IS II, 17-55mm F/2.8 IS, 50mm 1.8 II, 580ex II and soon to be a 5D Mark III

The Sony Cyber-shot RX100 III is a good option, I looked at it very close before picking up a G16. The G1X may also be a good choice. I use my DSLR all the time as that is what I enjoy most, but these pocket cameras although small, do pack a lot of punch. I carry the G16 for my family gatherings and for times when I want to be more discreet than look like a newsman with all the gear.

My G16 has taken some of my best photos. The new mirror-less cameras can also be a good choice although I would not plan to carry them in my pocket. They do take up a bit more room than the average pocket, but would be easier to carry around. The Fuji Xt1 has been reviewed as very close Image Quality to the best DSLR's. Do the research and make your best decision, there are some FANTASTIC options out there.
    Let No One Walk Alone
    --------------
    Bill

How do you like shooting with the 70-200mm F/2.8 IS II on the 60D? Reason I ask, I am thinking of getting the 70-200mm F/2.8 IS II or the Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD as my next purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by Magijr View Post
    How do you like shooting with the 70-200mm F/2.8 IS II on the 60D? Reason I ask, I am thinking of getting the 70-200mm F/2.8 IS II or the Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD as my next purchase.
    Oh golly, I could go on for hours. The image quality absolutely blew my mind-- I had used other versions of the 70-200mm, but nothing I'd ever tried can compare to the IS II. With the IS, if you're shooting anything that isn't moving too fast, you literally don't even have to worry about what shutter speed you're using. I set my aperture and ISO, and just go through an entire event shoot simply switching my shutter speed for exposure. It's crazy-- I've had a few shots at 1/15th at 200mm that are 100% sharp. No clue how that's even possible.

My main shooting is sports photography though, and I can definitely tell you that few lenses compare to the AF speed of this beast. Shooting indoors in a poorly lit gym makes me forget I'm using a 60D with only 9 AF points-- it's that good. The F/2.8 is a minimum for me for that reason, so I couldn't compromise on getting the F/4 option. I was also considering the 200mm F/2, but since I also do event photography, it was natural to buy the zoom. I don't regret that either-- the zoom range is great, even on a crop body. I wish it was a bit more wide, but it's not an issue when I'm shooting with a 17-55mm on a second body.

All that said, I keep my 70-200mm F/2.8 IS II on my 60D 70% of the time-- it's my primary lens. I hardly want to use anything else, even though the 17-55mm is in no way a "bad" lens and I use it for landscapes/environmental portraits/tight spaces. The issue is, hardly anything else compares except primes. And my jobs just can't rely on a single focal length.

P.S: If you do buy one, I recommend you get a battery grip so that you can balance the lens with the camera better. The IS II weighs way more than my 60D, so I always make sure to be supporting the lens itself as well.
    Last edited by Hjones; 08-05-2014 at 01:39 AM.
    Gear list:
    Canon 60D gripped, 70-200mm F/2.8 IS II, 17-55mm F/2.8 IS, 50mm 1.8 II, 580ex II and soon to be a 5D Mark III

Thank you for your feedback. I really appreciate you and all the other photographers taking the time to offer opinions, advice and share your experiences with me.

Regarding the lenses; have you used the Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD? If so, what were your thoughts compared to the 70-200mm F/2.8 IS II?