View Poll Results: A vote is consider support for a proposed change.

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Should we have only have one topic at a time (currently two)?

11 68.75%
  • Should each assignment have a ~6 week entry period?

6 37.50%
  • Should we allow repeat topics?

7 43.75%
  • Should we prohibit the use of "archived" photos for assignment entries?

5 31.25%
  • Should we omit the poll at the end of an assignment (so, no winner)?

1 6.25%
  • Should there be a "How to" companion thread with each assignment?

9 56.25%
  • Should the moderator select images to be critiiqued at the end of the assignment?

4 25.00%
  • I voted in this poll (please check if you did)

14 87.50%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Changes to "Assignment" Threads??

Jayson had some good points here!

I like them, but now we need to summarize... maybe i'll try tomorrow now i'm falling asleep!
    Dogs and cats, living together! Mass hysteria!

Jamsus

I agree with most of what has been said actually. And I for one know I am guilty of not posting here as much as I should or could (though I visit and read the forum practically every day), but I often find it difficult to find the time to satisfactorily edit and post pics to different topics. I'll often read the forum during my lunch at work, but my photos are on my home computer mostly. And when I'm at home many other things seem to take priority. That includes finding the time to post-process some of the many shots I've taken in the recent and not-so-recent past. Actually, that would be my one point against restricting assignments to photos taken during a certain period. Sometimes I'll have shots taken awhile ago that I just haven't processed until recently...sometimes I'll enter those in the weekly photo contests. So maybe change the criteria for the weekly contests that the photo must be taken or processed during the week to count. I agree that the stricter assignments should probably be new work inspired by the assignment topic to encourage new photos and even the playing field more for everyone. Just my 2 cents.

Stephen

I would think posting pics on the weekly events would be right in line with the thread if you post them as PP finishes, not as you take them. After all your pic isn't complete until you finish PP.

The assignment is different in that we are given a task. If we post a pic that was taken earlier we may not have even had the task in mind. It makes the thread more of a competition show your best thread. For instance the current thread Prime Time, until the 24-70 II I used the primes almost exclusively as walk around and wide lenses. I have a library full of prime shots. I doubt I will enter a pic because we only have two weeks. Also in two weekends I would have to come up with a concept and it would have to be on par with a top pic that someone pulled from their library to compete.
    Last edited by HDNitehawk; 10-14-2014 at 11:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jamsus View Post
    I like them, but now we need to summarize...
    Please do, but I will also make an attempt below.

I think this should culminate into a quick poll on the different options, one for the "Image of the Week" threads and one for the "Assignment" threads. Allow people to vote on their preferences, just in case people have a preference but not being vocal. Right now I see the poll questions as something like the following:

"Assignment" thread:

1. Should we have two concurrent assignments?
    2. Should we have the entry period for greater than the ~3 weeks we currently have?
    3. Should we allow a repeat of topics not used in the previous 12 months (this is becoming a bit of an issue)?
    4. Should photos taken prior to the assignment be allowed as submissions to the assignment?
    5. Should there be a poll at then end of each assignment?
    6. Should there be a "How to" companion thread with each assignment?
    7. Should the moderator select images to be critiqued at the end of the assignment?

"Image of the Week" Thread:

1. Should we have architecture as a third category?
    2. Should we have open competition with no categories?
    3. Should the photo have to be taken that week? (note, as most people shoot on weekends, I'd probably accompany this with changing the thread from Monday to Sunday to Thursday to Wednesday so people have time to process the photos from the weekend)
    4. Should the photo have to be taken or processed that week?
    5. Should there be a limit to the number of entries per category(s)?

Hopefully I have captured the main topics and questions. But please let me know if I missed something or if there are any additional thoughts. I'll post the poll either late Wednesday or early Thursday.

Also, thinking of changes to the "Image of the Week" thread. A way we could make changes for Q4 and still consider the fact we have Quarterly Landscape/Portrait winners if we went to an open format would be to select the "Landscape" and "Portrait" images from Q1-Q3, and then have those two images and the "Image of Q4" compete for "Image of the Year." Perhaps I am getting ahead of myself, but something could work.

Quote Originally Posted by conropl View Post
    People also feel they should not comment or editorialize on how the shot was taken. This makes the weekly assignments very stale and mater of fact... not personable and inviting.
    ^^^^^ This. I wonder if we should also start a thread under "Image Critique" somehow? I know we already have enough threads, but I have learned much from reading questions from others as they learn. I would like to see more of that.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    I doubt I will enter a pic because we only have two weeks. Also in two weekends I would have to come up with a concept and it would have to be on par with a top pic that someone pulled from their library to compete.
    As a quick heads up, Jonathan let me know by PM that he will be away on vacation when this assignment ends. He said we could have someone else select the finalists, but I've been waiting to see how this all shakes out. In all likelihood, I suspect the "Prime Time" thread submission date will be extended, likely until Jonathan gets back (Nov 8).

What people appreciate, reading some posts:

- Discuss pictures, not just post them
    - Post "pool" shots (because in some period people can't go around) but also "shooted during the contest pictures" (because it's fun!)
    - Some fixed themes (Portrait - Landscape as now?) but also 1 or 2 variable picture theme on "shooted during the contest pictures" choosed by the last winners
    - Instead of multiple threads, one thread with everything?
    - Instead of 1 week, we could easily do from 1st to 15th of a month, from 16th to 28\29\30\31th of a month!

What people do not appreciate, reading some posts:

- Just 1 week time
    - Taking only old pictures from your pool (for contest submission)
    - Dispersive multiple threads
    - No discussion\critique in the contest thread itself

Sorry my boss arrived! got to go
    Dogs and cats, living together! Mass hysteria!

Jamsus

The poll is up for 4 days (through the weekend)

voted

Just wanted to bump this thread as the poll closes Monday morning

Have been busy again. Work, travel, editing, even a few days off strung in to the mix which means a LOT more editing to get behind on.
    Indifferent to voting, prefer critiques to better learn how others view my work.
    Agree with principle of newer work only for contests but at the same time it can easily be weeks, at times months, before I get caught up on editing when I am busy and putting work first. Would this time lag keep me from entering a contest or how could this situation be managed?