Thread: ISO and noise

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidEccleston View Post
    I'm curious how people's noise tolerance will change as display's are finally getting out of the 1080p rut. Apple just released a 5K (5120x2880) 27" iMac. At that res, my 1Ds2 can't actually fill the screen. The 7D and 1DX can only crop 64 pixels off the edge... The 5D3 gets a few hundred pixels cropping range... basically, you'll be pixel peeping un-cropped images when viewing your desktop wallpaper... you'll see the noise, but the pixels will be 4x smaller, so the noise appear super fine grained.

Off topic, but, I also think it's a (minor) business opportunity here. I'm thinking Jonathan and Joel could make some money selling desktop wallpapers for new 5K iMac owners. There won't be much else available, and their shots are fantastic. Jonathan covers all sorts of subjects from mountainous landscapes, to polar bear cubs... something for everyone.
    The day is coming when the sceen will get thin enough and have the resolution to compete with large prints for space on people's walls. If the quality is good enough to replace large prints, then you can change your art on you walls to match the wall color of the day, or scroll through pictures. Already being done on small scale for desk top e-picture frames, and not that far from replacing wall art if the size and costs come down. For enough money you can probably do it today, but it may be to bulky for most peoples taste and wallet. If you can get hangable screens in the price range of framed pictures (currently not that far off for good quality framed picture), then the printed picture starts to become obsolete/novelty.

But it would probably get wasted on selfies.
    Last edited by conropl; 10-18-2014 at 02:35 PM.
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr