Thread: 500mm I vs 500mm II and Reikan Focal

500mm I vs 500mm II and Reikan Focal

I just upgraded my 500mm, the old one is at a local store on consignment.

I was expecting the new 500mm II to score high all the way to wide open with Reikens Aperture test.
    I am getting drop off and at F/4 and the new lens isn't scoring as high. Possibly the difference is a bit of lighting and distance.

Here are the results;

500mm I, 10.6 EV at 9.9M shot with the 1D IV.

500mm I by hdnitehawk01, on Flickr

500mm II, 10.3 EV at 8.9M shot with the 1D IV.

500mm II by hdnitehawk01, on Flickr

A few questions;
    Would the small difference in light and 1m make this much difference?
    Has any one else performed the Reiken Aperture test on one of the new Tele II's?
    If so did it perform at the same level right through F/4?

My 70-200mm and 24-70mm perform at the highest wide open at F/2.8 on Reikens scale. I was expecting the same with this lens and not to match the same performance of the old lens.

Hi Rick,

First off, congratulations on the new lens.

Regarding Reikans. In my experience the "scores" are very sensitive to a number of factors. I got to the point where I would only compare the numerical scores if shot on the same day with the same lighting, same distance to target, and exact same orientation of the lens to target. Even then, there is a "+/-" factor to the numbers as with the same set up I'd get slight different results with the same lens in repeat tests.

As your Mk 1 is already out of your hands, that is no longer an option. So, I would fall back on looking at actual images. I would also shoot an ISO 12233 chart with your own lens looking at things like consistency in the corner performance.

Again, congrats on the new lens.

Brant