Thread: Need quick Canon 70d advice

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    So, If I understand more focus points wont necessarily make more faces clear in group shots..... and maybe I'm spending more money on a 7D Mk ii but may not get better photos? And, perhaps the 70D would serve me just fine? I tried a 70d out last weekend, and although not every picture was in focus... but the touch screen focusing was indeed a hoot!

Quote Originally Posted by Silkylead View Post
    So, If I understand more focus points wont necessarily make more faces clear in group shots.....
    Exactly. Think of the number of focus points as the number of options to where the center of the focus plane is located within your composed frame. You could have it in the center, far left, top left, far right, etc, etc, etc (65 different locations in any given scene). But, what you described sounds more like an issue with the width of the focus plane, or depth of field. The width can be very small and everything outside the focus plane will be out of focus or very wide. To have more of a scene all in focus, you typically need to use smaller aperture values (f/8 to f/22, etc), depending upon your focal length. For specifics, I would consult the calculator HDNitehawk already provided.

Quote Originally Posted by Silkylead View Post
    So, If I understand more focus points wont necessarily make more faces clear in group shots..... and maybe I'm spending more money on a 7D Mk ii but may not get better photos? And, perhaps the 70D would serve me just fine? I tried a 70d out last weekend, and although not every picture was in focus... but the touch screen focusing was indeed a hoot!
    The 7D II doesn't have the touch screen but its live view focus is very effective. It is an option I would like to see on some of the high end cameras. The flip and the touch. It may sound like a gimmick but I find myself all the time in a position that I can't get my face to the camera.

You will get better pictures out of the 7D II if you use it for what it is intended.

Keep in mind we do not know your skill level and what you shoot, or if you shoot in manual or automatic modes. My wife does fine with the t5i but it has the running man, mountain and face setting on top. She only has to choose one for landscape, portraits or action. The 7D II doesn't have that and is geared toward individuals that are dedicated to the hobby, on this forum you will find most shooting in manual modes. But if you are shooting in the automatic modes and not the manual you would probably not benefit form the 7D II.

Kayaker72 gave you a good description of depth of field.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    The 7D II doesn't have the touch screen but its live view focus is very effective. It is an option I would like to see on some of the high end cameras. The flip and the touch. It may sound like a gimmick but I find myself all the time in a position that I can't get my face to the camera.

You will get better pictures out of the 7D II if you use it for what it is intended.

Keep in mind we do not know your skill level and what you shoot, or if you shoot in manual or automatic modes. My wife does fine with the t5i but it has the running man, mountain and face setting on top. She only has to choose one for landscape, portraits or action. The 7D II doesn't have that and is geared toward individuals that are dedicated to the hobby, on this forum you will find most shooting in manual modes. But if you are shooting in the automatic modes and not the manual you would probably not benefit form the 7D II.

Kayaker72 gave you a good description of depth of field.
    I would say my skill level is somewhere in the moderate area. I mostly shoot landscapes, and close-up's of strange things.... animals.... in-animate objects.... nature ... things of that nature. I have a number of friends that suggest shooting in AV mode.... but that really doesn't help me learn the way I would like (I'm 67 yrs. old) ... so I've been concentrating on working in Manual mode. By the nature of the beast... I find myself HAVING to use my 580 EX II flash a lot... especially in group settings in church.... but you just can't always do that cause it ruins the scene... or is too disruptive. As the whole world knows though, it's hard to get decent low light photos .... hand held without a lot of noise. Hope that helps....

I know some will advise full frame, which will give the best low light performance, .. but then I'd have to start completely over with lenses too, .. and my budget just won't allow that. And, by way of admission, I really don't understand what Kayaker72 means about focus points. ???