Thread: Post Your Best Nature Shots!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Post Your Best Nature Shots!

Dann, the snail (or slug) picture is beast!

I would like to see more of the snail (slug? haha) though. Just an opinion though. I've never shot macro stuff before though so I'm not very knowledgeable about it.

Regardless, they all look amazing! Props to you.

Thanks for the comments.

Re: Colin. It's a damselfly. They have their wings pulled back together rather than out by their sides.

Re: Rodger. I'd have liked to get more of the snail, but I was using the MP-E, so on a crop sensor, anything bigger than 22mm isn't going to fit. I was giong for a different compostion too, since I found the head and leaf more interesting than the shell, which was partially hidden anyway.

Hey Everyone,

Took this picture a few days ago out in the woods. The picture appeared really fuzzy and pixilated on Facebook. Again any suggestions in general would be appretiated. I have my camera set so that it goes from something like f/1 - f/3. I'm still learning :P. Thanks,

Kameron[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.29.27.wildlife/California-Spotted-Owl-2-_2D00_-53.CR2.jpg[/img]

Quote Originally Posted by kam007

Hey Everyone,

I have my camera set so that it goes from something like f/1 - f/3. I'm still learning :P.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

What camera and lens do you use? I ask because I don't know a camera and lens that will go to f/1 and I'd like to find one.

George Slusher
    Lt Col, USAF (Ret)
    Eugene, OR

Wow! Amazing photos everyone. Here's my share.. Hope you like it as much as I liked it.

Red Dragonfly
    Cheers!
    --
    AnGelo Chiu (MrGreenBug in Flickr), Blog: http://mrgreenbug.blogspot.com

been missing a lot of fun lately, seen a lot of great work from this thread, I particularly like Dann's macro shots of the dragonflies...anyways my additions to help pump this thread to the top. These are the Endangered California Least Terns at Bolsa Chica Ecological Reserve in Huntington Beach, CA.

I would really appreciate your comments, please let me know if I was over the top with the vignette.

40D + 400 f/5.6L, handheld, f/8, 1/1250 sec., ISO 250, Evaluative Metering, Exp. Comp +1/3, Hightlight Tone Priority. I wish there was a catch light on the mommy bird.

40D + 400 f/5.6L, handheld, f/7.1, 1/1250 sec., ISO 250, Evaluative Metering, Exp. Comp +1/3, Hightlight Tone Priority

Thanks for viewing and you can find the larger versions here.

<span style="color: #810081;"][url="http://photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=9320976&amp;size=lg]http://photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=9320976&amp;size=lg[/url]

<span style="color: #810081;"]<span style="color: #810081;"]http://photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=9321115&amp;size=lg

Those are beautiful! I'm not a photo critique by any means, nor a skilled professional, but those are awesome. I always love your pictures.

IMHO, the vignette might be a bit much. It took me a few seconds to find the little bird in the 1st picture, but thats the picture. Not a major concern. Maybe backing off the vignette would help lighten the baby bird in #1?

-Rodger

Yeah, I think the vignetting is too much. It almost looks like a night shot and you were using a spot light or something. What were you going for? Also were you shooting through glass or was there something on your lens? The first image looks like it has a smear that goes through the mama Terns left foot.

Sinh: Great shots of the tern &amp; chick. Not only that, you got them doingsignificant behaviors that help tell their life story. I'm not a big fan of makinga natural subject a little bit artificial with this much vignette (yes, maybe les is more).Other than that, I'm quite envious of yourgreat shooting.Sure beatsbasic bird-doing-nothing-on-a-twig!