Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2015 - Image of the Week #3

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Huyer View Post
    It's a lot of both! This ski area is only half an hour from our door. I think I should change my website to LifeofRiley.com
    One day i will travel in Canada, i'll let you know! Know it!
    Dogs and cats, living together! Mass hysteria!

Jamsus

Keep in mind that Canada is huge. The scale is completely different from Europe, and often takes unsuspecting travellers by surprise.

Get a map of Canada: https://www.google.ca/maps/@54.99405...89124,4z?hl=en
    Now find Toronto, Ontario. It's on the edge of the 5 big lakes that border with the USA.
    Now look North East a bit, along the border with Quebec, and find Ottawa, Ontario.
    That's a 5-6 hour drive, on a highway, at 100 KM/H. In Europe you get through several countries in that time, but here you've barely make a mark on the map.

That kind of scale limits you to exploring small sections of Canada at a time. You don't want to spend your trip driving on highways, so you want to find a few good attractions somewhat near each other, and don't expect to see them all in an afternoon.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEccleston View Post
    Keep in mind that Canada is huge. The scale is completely different from Europe, and often takes unsuspecting travellers by surprise.

Get a map of Canada: https://www.google.ca/maps/@54.99405...89124,4z?hl=en
    Now find Toronto, Ontario. It's on the edge of the 5 big lakes that border with the USA.
    Now look North East a bit, along the border with Quebec, and find Ottawa, Ontario.
    That's a 5-6 hour drive, on a highway, at 100 KM/H. In Europe you get through several countries in that time, but here you've barely make a mark on the map.

That kind of scale limits you to exploring small sections of Canada at a time. You don't want to spend your trip driving on highways, so you want to find a few good attractions somewhat near each other, and don't expect to see them all in an afternoon.
    Yes i know ! This summer i went from Florence to Scotland, trip all around and back, just 4400km! (2500 miles?)

But i need Canada, by the way i think that around Jonathan house seems a good starting point!

Jamsus

Quote Originally Posted by jamsus View Post
    But i need Canada, by the way i think that around Jonathan house seems a good starting point!
    Come on over! I'd be happy to give you (or anyone on this forum) a tour of my backyard.

Quote Originally Posted by jamsus View Post
    If you want to see Canada, Jonathan's neighborhood is tough to beat. Banff, Lake Louise, Fairmont, Nelson.....finish off by heading over to Vancouver and Victoria.....

Agreed with everyone... For a photo trip, I'd take Jonathan's neighborhood over mine in a heartbeat.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

Me too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will, one day, i will! Know that

Meanwhile, if anyone passes from Italy... :-p

Jamsus

Great week of photos. As usual, the choices were a hard to pick between. My top two this week were Pat's "Milky Way" and Jonathan's "Above the Clouds". I really liked the reflections, the mood, and overall composition of this photo. The fog truly added something special. Definitely one I would print large and hang on the wall. With that being said, I am going to have to go with Jonathan's shot. The scene is great. The skier is moving through the frame, the mountains are perfect with the clouds, and overall great three layer photo.

Great shot Jonathan, and congratulations.

That was not shot with Jonathan's best gear, and it solidifies the premise that it is the person behind the camera, and not the gear that makes for a compelling photo.

Pat
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr