Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 5D S coming soon perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    However, most people will never realize the gain at their fingertips with this camera. Whether it be due to equipment limitations or chosen technique.
    I suppose that is why there is a rumored 5D IV coming. It will fit the masses.
    I've read through some of the debates on sensor vs lens limitations. I've seen enough to think that most good lenses would resolve more detail with higher MP. But, as you mention, to get the most out of the 5Ds, I suspect you will be looking at elite lenses, mostly primes.

Which is one reason why this would not be a good fit for my kit. Not only would I be buying a new camera, but, to truly get the most out of it, a number of primes. I suspect this camera will be exposing previously unseen flaws in what we now consider to be some of our better lenses.

I did not find enough on their methodology to really understand and get behind their reviews plus they boil something as complex as resolution into a single score, but chasing every review I could find of the Sigma 150-600S led me to lenscore.org. What I did find out about their methods is that they evaluate all brands of lenses on a custom built 200 MP "camera" to try to eliminate sensor variability and limitations. Results---the only Canon zoom that ranks with the primes is the 200-400 f/4 1.4tc. The Zeiss Otus 55 and 85 had "resolving power" scores of 1547 and 1647, respectively. The Sigma 50 Art: 1160. The Canon 50 f/1.2 L and 85 f/1.2 L: 913 and 828, respectively. The EF 24-70II: 762. So, the best Canon primes are about half the Zeiss when measured on a 200 MP camera. BTW, the Sigma 150-600S was just below the Canon EF 70-200 II. But, again, single score

I suspect the images to come off of this could be phenomenal. Imagine all the benefits of downsampling with the end results still having 20 MP.....cropping to 1/4 of the frame and still having 12.5 MP. Serious potential.

I'll also be interested in seeing what the 5DIV can do. I do not so much as see it as a fit for the masses, but aimed at a larger niche. To me, the 5Ds is aimed at those that are slow and deliberate and shoot only a couple of shots at a time. The 5DIII and, assumedly the 5DIV, would be aimed at event, spray and pray, vacation shooters or those that only want one jack of all trades body. For now, I have the one jack of all trade body...and the 5DIII fits that very well.
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 02-01-2015 at 05:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Eade View Post
    If the noise is well controlled
    The leaked ISO specs point toward little improvement. I would expect similar noise performance to the 7D II.