Thread: 5Ds vs 5Ds R

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Busted Knuckles View Post
    Wasn't the 5d3 something like $3,300 when 1st anounced?
    I think $3,499 and many people screamed.

But the Yen was very strong then, it is weak now and I think we see the benifit lately.

One of my other jobs in life was finance at a big company that had a lot of overseas sales, we would look at the sales/manf cost forecast, etc and buy currency options to pretty much take the swings out of the decisions for the operations people. A smart finance guy doesn't let the currency market determine success/failure for his company.

Having said that, if we get specific about what Canon has done, it is a new silicon chip w/ a bitsy change in assembly and the end result of a couple of software type over the last 3 years+. It isn't one guy figuring out the 7dII software, chip design, etc all by himself, there are teams of folks on each element for each camera. There is likely lower yield on the sensor wafer - but think about the number of transistors in the flash drives these days vs. 3 years ago. They have greater failure rates now too. Also the really cheap part of the camera, is the silicon parts, I wouldn't be surprised the frame costs more to produce thant sensor.

I think the pricing makes sense from both a market dynamics and historical point - it might be a tad high, but where else are going to go for 50mp?

Also the number of updated "L" lenses popping out with improved resolution - pretty well put together product strategy.

My 2 pennies of thought.

Mike
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911