Thread: 5Ds vs 5Ds R

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    So someone can correct me if I am wrong.
    But this would be a function of the lens not the sensor.
    Your out of focus light will be better resolved and have more out of focus definition. But it is still out of focus.

Here is a question, the 7D II seems to have a different bokeh from a FF sensor. I never really researched this or thought about it because I discounted it as field of view difference, but is this partly because of smaller pixels?
    Will the bokeh from the high mp camera have a different "feel" or "look" to its bokeh because of the increased resolution?

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    Here is a question, the 7D II seems to have a different bokeh from a FF sensor. I never really researched this or thought about it because I discounted it as field of view difference, but is this partly because of smaller pixels?
    Will the bokeh from the high mp camera have a different "feel" or "look" to its bokeh because of the increased resolution?
    I do not know how to answer this technically, but I see the same thing between the 1DX and my 7D. Both are 18MP spread out over the frame, but one has larger pixels (and presumably better pixels). The 100-400L does not have particularly good bokeh - the blur can be rather harsh looking, but it does seem less so on the FF to the point of being quit a noticeable difference. Even taking FOV out of the equation, I do not think the bokeh (or subjective quality of the blur) will be as good on the crop.

Having said that, I may be accused of being nit-picky chasing esoteric properties, and the accusation would probably be justified; but in some ways, that is what photography is about... that is, looking for ways to progress artistically and produce "that look" that separates your pictures from the thousands out there of the same or similar subject. So, your question intrigues me because if you knew the technical reason, then you may be able figure out how to exploit it in other situations. I guess what I am saying is: Nice observation and good question... I wish I knew the answer.

Pat
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr