Thread: RAW Critique

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I still process generic snaps, since nobody wants you to send them a 20MP image, and, until recently, I had a bandwidth cap.

But yeah, better ability to recover shadows. Better ability to recover highlights (there's an extra stop that would be clipped to white in JPG that you can claim back from a RAW). Better/smoother gradients when applying white-balance, curves, or other modifications. Adobe's noise reduction was superior to everybody else's too... but, recently, some Canon rep said the latest DPP does a better job than the latest Lightroom (when talking about the 7D2). I have not tested that claim.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEccleston View Post
    but, recently, some Canon rep said the latest DPP does a better job than the latest Lightroom (when talking about the 7D2). I have not tested that claim.
    I have tested it with the 7D II, but haven't heard that claim.
    The noise reduction in camera is better than it used to be so you have less room for improvement, but Lightroom does a substantially better job with noise than DPP.

I say marketing bs.