Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Canon 70d Bundles

Quote Originally Posted by BullseyePrecision View Post
    Out of these two bundles on amazon which one would you get and why?
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00HFC...-gL&ref=plSrch

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00X51...HVL&ref=plSrch

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    Neither...but that is just me. I have some "bundle" stuff that came with various lenses/cameras. For the most part, I find the "bundled" items are awful. Most I have thrown out. Only because I haven't had time, a few things still litter my closet. But they are not used. Once in a very long time, something is bundled that is useful. Like I got a Sandisk 16 GB CF card once with a lens.

I would only buy things in a bundle that I would otherwise buy individually. Camera systems are long term investments and you are going to want good equipment.

And sometimes, there are issues. Cheap filters can negatively impact your IQ. A cheap bag may not protect your camera when you need it most. I received something once intended to clean a lens that was essentially a very thin piece of cheap foam on a stick. I would never let that come near my lens.

If you have settled in on the 70D, and it is a good camera, then I would buy the 70D and one of the following lenses: 18-135 STM (comes in bundles), EFS 15-85 (love this lens), or the EFS 17-55 (some regard this as the best EFS lens). I also know some people taking very good photos with the EFS 18-55. Start small: Camera, 1-2 lenses, good SD card, etc and build from there.

Also, there are some great "value" lenses if you really want high quality shots without buying "L" glass. The EF 50 f/1.8 STM, and EF 40 f/2.8 are both
    sub $200 and are very good lenses. The EF 50 f/1.4 is also very good and is typically ~$300-350. Then the EF 85 f/1.8 and EF 100 f/2 are both very good sub $500 lenses. I've used/owned all of those except the EF 100 f/2, but am basing my opinion on test results.

Out of these two bundles on amazon which one would you get and why?
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00HFC...-gL&ref=plSrch

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00X51...HVL&ref=plSrch

Neither.
    Everything in the first one is junk except for the camera and two of the lenses (18-55 & 55-250 mm lenses -- Assuming they are the latest version... I did not check), and even those are not top of the line but will work to get you by. I would throw everything else out (maybe the cards are good... who knows?)

The second one is even worse. I can not believe they are still pawning off that horrid 75-300 mm lens on unsuspecting people.
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

Yeah but at least u get something extra for the same price. I guess I could just get the body and lenses for the same price.

Quote Originally Posted by conropl View Post
    Neither.
    Everything in the first one is junk except for the camera and two of the lenses (18-55 & 55-250 mm lenses -- Assuming they are the latest version... I did not check), and even those are not top of the line but will work to get you by. I would throw everything else out (maybe the cards are good... who knows?)

The second one is even worse. I can not believe they are still pawning off that horrid 75-300 mm lens on unsuspecting people.
    So what would you get?

So what would you get?

I am not buying, and my needs are different.

I think Sean provided a good starting point Here

That gives you a lens with a lot of focal range, a card, and an extra battery - all good things. Start there, and if you find you shoot more wide angle and would like to go a little wider, then go back and look at the EFS 15-85 as Kayaker72 suggested (or 10-20 mm). If you want to go longer (need to zoom in more), then there are a lot of options dependent on what you want to spend (70-200, 55-250, 100-400 I, 100-400 II, 200-400, or primes 200, 300, 400, 500, 600). The lowest cost option to go more telephoto would be 55-250 mm (I had that to start but found it to limiting and ended up with a 100-400).

But if you are getting started... you probably do not know what focal lengths you need (that is the sense I get anyway). So Sean's approach is a very good option because it provides a wide range of focal length for you to experiment with and your next purchase would be more targeted to your needs. That approach can end up saving you money in the long run.

Pat
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    Neither...but that is just me. I have some "bundle" stuff that came with various lenses/cameras. For the most part, I find the "bundled" items are awful. Most I have thrown out. Only because I haven't had time, a few things still litter my closet. But they are not used. Once in a very long time, something is bundled that is useful. Like I got a Sandisk 16 GB CF card once with a lens.

I would only buy things in a bundle that I would otherwise buy individually. Camera systems are long term investments and you are going to want good equipment.

And sometimes, there are issues. Cheap filters can negatively impact your IQ. A cheap bag may not protect your camera when you need it most. I received something once intended to clean a lens that was essentially a very thin piece of cheap foam on a stick. I would never let that come near my lens.

If you have settled in on the 70D, and it is a good camera, then I would buy the 70D and one of the following lenses: 18-135 STM (comes in bundles), EFS 15-85 (love this lens), or the EFS 17-55 (some regard this as the best EFS lens). I also know some people taking very good photos with the EFS 18-55. Start small: Camera, 1-2 lenses, good SD card, etc and build from there.

Also, there are some great "value" lenses if you really want high quality shots without buying "L" glass. The EF 50 f/1.8 STM, and EF 40 f/2.8 are both
    sub $200 and are very good lenses. The EF 50 f/1.4 is also very good and is typically ~$300-350. Then the EF 85 f/1.8 and EF 100 f/2 are both very good sub $500 lenses. I've used/owned all of those except the EF 100 f/2, but am basing my opinion on test results.
    What would you buy?

Those 2X and Wide angle adapters are likely not even meant for DSLRs. Before I had DSLRs, I had a Sony H1 Point and shoot. Sony sold the same two adapters for use on that. The general consensus was they weren't very good, but if you desperately needed something wider or longer than the built-in lens could go, and image quality wasn't a major concern, then go for it. If they sucked at 5 megapixels, think of how much they'll suck at 20MP! If you're springing for a 70D, you'll be sorely disappointed.

So you've got a no-name company selling you a DSLR with (assuming they actually give you the STM versions they listed) acceptable lenses, but then offering P&S adapters, off brand filters, and no-name flashes. Sorry, no. I don't think you'll get the camera or lenses you ordered. They're preying on you not knowing that the kit is BS. If you buy it, they know you have no idea what you're buying... and they're going to scam you somehow.

If you're considering Amazon.com, you're likely in the USA. Just buy from Adorama, or B&H. Both have awesome pricing, awesome shipping, awesome customer relations, reputable staff, awesome returns policies, etc. Heck, I'm not in the US, and half my gear if from Adorama and B&H, because even after shipping and currency conversion, they had awesome pricing (not so much now that our dollar is worth $0.75).

If you're in Canada, check photoprice.ca for the best Canadian retail prices.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

What would you buy?

Overall, I still recommend paying a bit more to buy exactly what you want separately. Unless you can find what you want in a bundle, I think you will end up with things that you do not need, do not want, or will want to replace soon.

But, looking at a few deals, the key seems to be to get lenses, particularly the EFs 18-135 STM, included. So, I'd consider the following:

70D EFs 18-135, a good memory card and what seems to be an ok bag ($1,299):
    http://www.amazon.com/Canon-18-135mm...ords=canon+70D

70D, EFS 18-135, EFs 55-250, Manfrotto tripod, good bag, and eye-fi card (for wifi connection, which is redundant as the 70D has built in wifi). ($1,508) But, really, the key is getting another $100 off the telephoto EFS 55-250 allowing you to have 18-250 mm covered.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Digital-...ords=canon+70d

70D, EFS 18-55 ($919). Just a good price for a starter kit.

http://www.adorama.com/ICA70DKOB.html

Or the deal that Sean/Pat discussed.

Good luck with your decision.

I want those prices too =) just wanna show the difference what that 70D + 18-135 IS EFS cost's here in finland:

http://www.rajalacamera.fi/canon-eos...35-is-stm.html thats 1568.28 USD

Europe tends to have higher prices as they have much better consumer protection (warranties, returns, etc) than North America. Somebody has to pay for these extra costs.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L