Thread: Two weeks in the US

Two weeks in the US

Looking at taking a two week holiday in the US, I realise it's a huge place, but pondering where to start, without bouncing all over the place ! I'm into mountains, coastal and amazing roads, but also love iconic cityscapes such as London and Paris.... My wife and I have done the stuff like the Icefields Parkway, The Pyrenees and the Alps, I personally love the Scottish Highlands and Islands (North of Skye), but my wife less so... So, given we've just a couple of weeks, the reluctance to bounce to all parts of the US, where's a good starting area for a two week holiday with photo opportunities that importantly, isn't over run with tourists.
    Last edited by Haydn1971; 11-01-2015 at 09:42 PM.

Four quick possible destinations:
    1. Seattle, Mt. Rainier, Mt. St. Helens, North Cascades National Park, San Juan Islands, Olympic National Park, Ho Rain Forest, Victoria/Vancouver British Columbia.
    2. Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, and Glacier National Parks, All of Montana Wyoming and Idaho in between.
    3. Blue Ridge Parkway. Great Smokey Mountains National Park. Start in North Carolina and work your way north. Could also pick up Charleston, SC or maybe Outer Banks, NC. But great waterfalls and scenery. I have been to the Brevard, North Carolina area once and want to go back.
    4. Arizona/Southern Utah. I can't even begin to talk about all the opportunities...ok, I'll start, Sedona AZ, Antelope Slot Canyons/Horseshoe Bend (Page AZ), Monument Valley AZ, Bryce, Zion, Arches, Canyonlands, and Grand Canyon National Parks. The "Wave" in Az. Could land in Phoenix or Las Vegas.

Just a few thoughts...all four have mountains. 1 and 3 have ocean as well.

So when are you coming? Also in South Carolina you can get into the swamps and "black water" w/ the Spanish Moss and get some "lowland" moody shots.

If you are interested in wild life, Yellowstone/Tetons are hard to beat.

A 2 week trip from Yellow Stone to the Grand Canyon would be amazing (w/o an ocean). The landscape and wildlife are simply world class

Timing is somewhat important. The parts of the road around Mt. Rainer are expected to close for the season tomorrow. Same with some of the roads in/around Glacier, Yellow Stone, etc. The key roads into interior of these parks may not fully upon until mid/late June depending on the snow pack.

In the northwest U.S. some of the mountains can get staggering snow fall.

If you are coming in the spring, the seasonal wildflowers can be simply stunning in some areas.

The northwest U.S. (Seattle, Cascades, Mt. Rainier, Oregon coast, etc) is likely the least tourist dense. In general the Southwest is just so darn big, it is hard to get overrun with tourists. Some spots are small and popular and easy access (Zion/Bryce) other of the parks are permit only so there is a very limited number of tourists ("The Wave" is North Coyote Butte - gets all the attention, but South Coyote is just as amazing, less famous and easier to the get permit - I was the only one all day on the butte - get a guide for this one, there are several and ask for a late start to get a lower sun in the sky lighting, etc.)

I suspect you will have a great time no matter where you go.

Happy clicks.

Mike
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

Thanks both, some great ideas to investigate in more detail. As to when, probably the late spring, early summer... May/June, so need to check the road closure dates on some of the higher destinations.

Any of the previous recommendations sound great and some are on my list. I have been to the Seattle/Mt. St. Helens/Olympic National Park and it was great. Lots of variety there and tons of great photo-ops. Another area you might consider is Montana (Glacier National Park). We did the "Going to the Sun Road" through Glacier a number of years ago and it was awesome. Really like to go back again (now that I'm more into photography...).

Where are you coming from anyway? Might help with recommendations to know where home is for you.

Stephen

Two weeks in the US

I live in the UK, just on the edge of a city called Sheffield - it's where all the steel came from at one point ;-)