Thread: Veiwing photos on a tv...

Veiwing photos on a tv...

I created a slideshow DVD with some pictures and was watching the slideshow on a tv. Now this TV is kind of old. It's not a flat screen, lcd, or plasma. It's one of those big fat tvs of the early to mid 90s.

My question is...is it normal for the pictures to look, how do i say this...a little "worn down" or less sharp as compared to viewing the pictures on a imac computer? Or does this less sharp happen when creating the pictures into a DVD?

Just curious....my brain says this is normal, but i thought i would ask.

keller

Re: Veiwing photos on a tv...

One more question...what program would one recomend to use in order to create a slideshow?

thanks

keller

My brain also says thats normal but I can't give a technical answer.

As for your software question, I just recently used Corel video stuido 12 to make the slideshow below.Ignorethe intro and music, I just thought they were funny. I used the "quick start wizard" or something to that affect. I'm pretty sure you could use any video editing software to create a slideshow. I'm surprised Apple doesn't have a dedicated slideshow program.

Hmm. The html for the youtube video didn't work. Click here if you so desire.

I also don't have a techical explaination but I think it's normal though.

Quote Originally Posted by keller
    .is it normal for the pictures to look, how do i say this...a little "worn down" or less sharp as compared to viewing the pictures on a imac computer? Or does this less sharp happen when creating the pictures into a DVD?

This is normal. Before we got our new TV, I always cringed at how my images looked on a 1980's Sony "Big and fat" tube TV. They lacked sharpness, and might as well been taken with a point-and-shoot. From what I believe, it's mainly about resolution. The newer TV's on the market today have much higher resolution than older ones, like 1920x1080. Older TV's might display much lower resolutions.

Note that you will need a suitable cable when using a new TV, what I mean is:

My pictures from my P&S S60 looked great on our old CRT TV with a regular audio/video (RCA) cable, but on our new 42" LCD TV they looked very bad. I then connected my PC to this LCD using both HD and VGA cables and with both, the same images looked great.

Quote Originally Posted by keller
    My question is...is it normal for the pictures to look, how do i say this...a little "worn down" or less sharp as compared to viewing the pictures on a imac computer?

Yes. The resolution starts out very poor on a video DVD, which is only 720x480. That's about the same resolution as a *wallet* size print. But it gets worse, because the TV is likely using overscan, which cuts off the outer 3-10% of the image. And it's also probably using interlaced (in combination with the DVD player), which should filter out resolution to lower than 70% of what would normally be visible in 720x480. On top of that you have any quality issues in the TV itself (including poor calibration).

Even the best situation has relatively poor resolution compared to a print. A 1080p display, fed with a full-res progressive source (e.g. blu-ray, HDMI, DVI, etc.), with no overscan, well-calibrated, etc. is *still* only going to have resolution similar to a 4x6 print. Even if it's a 50-inch TV!

Until 4K displays are common place, an nice 8x10 is always going to have more impressive detail than any HD TV.