Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Next Generation of FF Bodies

Quote Originally Posted by peety3 View Post
    I suspect Canon thinks the 7D2 or 5Ds[R] are more of what the wildlife photographer will buy anyway.
    If Canon only considers the roadside vehicle hunting wildlife photographer, then they are right that is all they need.
    Sunny bluebird days those bodies are great.
    I know that if I set in a blind all morning in the freezing rain I want the reliability of a 1D 's AF system when the special shot presents itself. The 7D II's AF just doesn't perform to the same level.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    Canon seems to overlook the wildlife photographer with the 1Dx. Perhaps there is not enough interest in that field for Canon to pay attention. Wildlife photogs need the camera described above, and we need silent mode. No matter how well the camera performs if your subject runs away when the jackhammer of a shutter goes off you have no pictures to take.
    I've been utterly delighted with my 1DX for wildlife photography. The fast frame rate, AF performance, and high-ISO capability have given me many more keepers than I'd be able to get with other bodies. Yes it makes a ridiculous racket when you fire a burst, but I can't think of a single time that the shutter noise was any bother at all to an animal. Wildlife are always skittish, but if they are going to run or fly away they usually do so before I even get a shot off. If they are comfortable with my presence then they are also comfortable with the sound of the camera. Now I'm also not the kind of wildlife photographer who has the patience to sit in a blind silently for hours on end, hoping an animal will appear, and trying to remain undetected through the whole process. Usually I'm shooting from a car, or I'm on a tour with a group, so maybe that's a key difference.

If the next 1DX raises the bar even further on frame rate, AF, and ISO performance, then I'll be all over it no matter how loud it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Huyer View Post

If the next 1DX raises the bar even further on frame rate, AF, and ISO performance, then I'll be all over it no matter how loud it is.
    According to the specs posted this morning on CR the 1DX II will have silent mode single, silent mode high (5fps) and silent mode low (4fps).

Shooting in live view I bet it will be quite. One of the features that the wife's t4i has that isn't on the 7D II is the touch screen. In live view or video mode you can touch where you want to focus. I think this is going to be a very handy feature.

I am going to pre-order one. My 1D IV is due an upgrade.

Based on the rumored specs for the 1D X II (which are quite likely pretty accurate since it should be formally announced tonight/tomorrow), it looks like quite a nice camera. 20 MP, 14 fps, 61-pt AF with a wider spread and all points active with an f/8 lens.

As a 7D+5DII user, the 1D X was a very tempting upgrade, I preordered as soon as it was possible. As a 1D X user, the 1D X II is not very tempting, the 2 more MP and 2 more fps aren't at all game-changing. Being able to use the full AF array with my 600 II + 2xIII would be very nice, but that plus the other modest changes are not really worth the cost of the upgrade, to me. IMO, the mixed CF + CFast card slots are a downgrade (dual CFast would be better).

Next Generation of FF Bodies

I was at a couple political town hall/rally's over the weekend . Press everywhere. Canon dominated. At one point I counted 11 canon rigs vs 3 Nikon and one Sony. I almost asked this one journalist if I could take a picture of their 1Dx. About half the black surface coat was worn off. It was all beat up. The 24-70 mk I 's filter was bent.

Yet I heard that thing like machine gun fire to my left. They were working that in combination with a second 1Dx with a 70-200 mk I.

Impressive. I just reviewed the new specs of the 1Dx II. All look very solid if not impressive as well. I am most interested in the results once a few testers get their hands on it. Let's see if we have some new tech under the hood.

The 1Dx was rushed I think last time. The announced and then a few weeks later announced the 5D III. The 5D III arrived before the 1Dx.

I thought the announcement on CR was the real deal. They didn't note it as a CRx which I would have thought it meant an announcement.
    But if the 1Dx II releases today or tomorrow I wonder if Canon will follow suit with the fabled replacement for the 5D III?

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    IMO, the mixed CF + CFast card slots are a downgrade (dual CFast would be better).
    I concur. It's one thing to explain to my wife that our 1D3, 5D3, and 5DsR take two different card form-factors, but it would be a bigger challenge to say "fast card in slot 1, if it rolls over to card 2, switch out card 1 and flip it back, using card 2 only as an interim until you get things swapped out".

We share two 1Dx, a 5D3, and a 5DsR, plus a 1D3 that's really just a shelf spare or remote cam if needed. I can see another 5DsR, but I'll be focusing on lighting and lenses for a while before I choose any other camera.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Last edited by DavidEccleston; 02-02-2016 at 03:23 AM.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

Summary for those who don't want to watch Youtube videos.

AF: 61-pt (40-odd cross), all f/8 capable, wider spaced, red colored to be visible in the dark. Sensitive down to EV -3 (moonlit landscape). DPAF for liveview/video.

Video: 4K(Cine 4K, so 4096 x whatever, not UHD 3840 x 2160) @ 59.94, image is slightly cropped center image from full sensor - not scaled. 1080p @ 120, undocumented form of scaling from full sensor width. Can save images from 4K video to JPG directly on camera (8-9 MP as opposed to 20.2... hmmm, that doesn't sound slightly cropped to me, but I guess a lot of that loss is the 16:9 format.)

New battery to enable 14FPS (16FPS in LiveView w/ fixed focus and exposure). Old batteries are compatible at ~2fps loss in burst (not mentioned, but may affect 4K or 1080@120 shooting).

Buffer: JPG unlimited. RAW 170 on CFast2 (about 12 second at 14 fps) ~70 on CF.

Touchscreen. More detailed control on focus rate change over 7D2 (10 steps).

WFT-8 Wireless File Transmitter. Smart phone control.

CF + CFast2. (CFast2 may be required for 4K and 1080p @ 120... they allude to it, but don't explictly say).

I think that's most of it.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

At 1:17 in the upper video you can hear the 1Dx II burst. Still noisy.
    At 11:13 you can hear the burst in live view. Not to bad.
    For Turkeys last year I shot in live view with tracking on the 7D II and it worked great. The touch screen on the 1Dx II is going to be great IMO.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/N...spx?News=17623
    Last edited by HDNitehawk; 02-02-2016 at 01:20 PM.