Thread: Gimbal Head Advice

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Ask around (i.e. in other forums) to determine if your camera/lens combo can be balanced on a gimbal head. If it can't, you'll still have smooth operation, but not as effortless as if you could balance it. I find that my Canon 100-400 II (with RRS replacement foot/plate) can only balance if zoomed to 400 when it's paired with any of our 1-series bodies or a gripped 5-series body, and that's with the camera almost slammed up against the Wimberley clamp (making it challenging or impossible to rotate to portrait). I've contemplated going back to the Canon foot and using a Wimberley P-40 or P-50 plate so I can clamp something (anything!) out front to gain back some balance options. This brings up another point: zoom lenses will most likely require continuous rebalance if zooming, or perhaps compromise and lower the rig down so it has a little more tendency to just hang low/flat-ish.

Like Joel, I have a Wimberley. Picked it up in July for our Alaska cruise. Absolutely love it. It goes atop a set of RRS legs with a leveling base, which I'd also recommend when you're ready; it simplifies getting the panning axis level, which can be a big factor with a relatively tall gimbal head. My only complaints on the Wimberley are ever so minor: it needs a little use to really soften up (it's a "stiff smooth" initially), and I find that the pan axis is tough to truly LOCK down. I discovered this when I tried to carry a 600/4 and 1Dx on the gimbal on a monopod, with the camera and back of lens resting on my shoulder, and a hand on the monopod. It kept twisting, slightly, but meant I'd have to reposition my hand regularly, or compensate in other ways to keep the lens from falling.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Quote Originally Posted by peety3 View Post
    My only complaints on the Wimberley are ever so minor: it needs a little use to really soften up (it's a "stiff smooth" initially), and I find that the pan axis is tough to truly LOCK down. I discovered this when I tried to carry a 600/4 and 1Dx on the gimbal on a monopod, with the camera and back of lens resting on my shoulder, and a hand on the monopod. It kept twisting, slightly, but meant I'd have to reposition my hand regularly, or compensate in other ways to keep the lens from falling.
    I have never had this problem. Mine locks solid. I wonder if there is a screw that needs adjusting.
    I have thrown mine over the shoulder and carried it everywhere. I have never had a problem.