Thread: EF-S 60mm macro vs. EF 100mm macro with 40D

EF-S 60mm macro vs. EF 100mm macro with 40D

Hey Folks,

I'm itching to buy a macro lens (I've got a garden full of flowers and bugs) and am getting impatient waiting for the next batch of EF 100s to hit the stores. There are some EF-S 60s out there. I know I'll need to get closer to things with it than I'd need to with the EF-100, but are there other shortcomings I'm not considering? Has anyone compared both on a crop frame? Resale value on the EF-S 60 if I buy now and trade up later?

I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Mark

Re: EF-S 60mm macro vs. EF 100mm macro with 40D

Besides the "getting closer" problem, you should also consider what if you upgrade the camera to a full frame, you wouldn't be able to use the EF-S.

-------------------------------------------------------

visit: http://www.prphotographyonline.com

-------------------------------------------------------

As a macro lens, working distance is indeed something on the top to be considered about. The 100/2.8 is well regarded as sharp and fast, the resale value of the 100/2.8 will surely be a lot higher than the 60/2.8 lens as the 100/2.8 is an EF lens and can be used by every Canon camera. From a macro point of view, the 100/2.8 does not come short than the 60/2.8 in any way. So get the 100/2.8 is a good choice.

I don't imagine myself going full frame, at least not any time in the near future.

I know all about the wait being a challenge, I recently went through that and finally managed to get the 100mm. I'd say that if the 100 is what you really want you should wait, the extra working distance is nice, and it is a brilliant lens. If the 60 isn't really what you want then the extra week or so one way or the other would seem like a minor thing for a lens you'll have for a very long time.

For a macro lens, the longer, the better. I will love to have a 180/3.5L on my 50D no matter if I need FF coverage or not.[]

Plenty of 100mm on Ebay, from reputable sellers too.

Mark,

I saw Erich Anderson is selling an almost new 100mm Macro on ebay for what I would consider a reasonable price considering it comes with a filter and the lens hood (which is not usually included in the box). I don't know him personally so I can't vouch for the post but here is the link to his post. 100mm Macro. If you don't end up buying it I might have to myself.

The other part to it is there is a difference besides how close you will have to get to your subject but the angle of view for the background. The 60 will have a wider angle of view requiring a larger nice background. You can see what I mean in Brians review hereof all three macros. Hopes this helps.

Fred~

Thanks Fred. I just got a chance to check out the auction. Looks like I just missed it.