...or...it could be great.

Somewhat seriously, it all depends on how flickr is perceived. Could there be some growth there? Sure, eat into Instagram's market, use it as a social media platform, as part of a bigger platform, etc. And I think they could do that without altering its current services and functions. They would need to improve in system editing, add a whole bunch of selfie pre-sets, then expand ways in which people can interact, and "share" information. Much of this I could ignore, but there is also a chance that they come up with something that interests me.

Second, I can see them leaving it largely alone. The value of flickr would be the user database and the traffic that it provides. Flickr probably uses mostly existing infrastructure. So I can see just letting it be.

Third. If they see no value, no synergies with other businesses, etc, I could see them letting it die on the vine or spinning it off.

Thank would be unfortunate, and I'd miss a few connections I've made there, but I would probably just move to another service; 500 pics, zenfolio, smugmug, etc.