Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2 questions for 17-55 f2.8 IS owners

Re: 2 questions for 17-55 f2.8 IS owners

I recommend a "neutral" filter. Nikon make a great one ($100.00 here in Canada). I also purchased the Canon lens hood which is a must.

Happy shooting!

Tom

Update....I purchased the B&W 77mm Reg MRC UV and a Pearstone hood.

I don't think I need to comment concerning the quality of the B&W but concerning Pearstone hood; it's flimsier (based on the Canon tulip shaped hood for the 17-85) than a Canon hood, the fitting for both "in use" positioning and "reverse" positioning for storage is very rough.

Putting on and removing from the "in use" position is relatively easy, but it isn't a smooth transition. I've used an old fishing trick for multiple piece rods to help smooth the screwing on/off maneuver......I've applied a little skin oil to both the UV and hood. This helped, but it's not great.

Reverse positioning; it has proven to be very difficult aligning to screw on and taking it off is a very delicate procedure. Trying to remove it, I'm extremely careful not to apply too much pressure for fear of breakage.....slow even pressure will finally release it's grip to the UV.

My conclusion; if this is the quality (fit and grade of plastic) I can expect from Pearstone hoods, it is the last one I will purchase and it will be replaced w/a Canon hood.

I consider this a relatively inexpensive experiment.

Thanks again for your input folks and I hope my experience w/a Pearstone hood is helpful.

Bill

The third-party hood I bought for the 17-55 f/2.8 IS wasan Opteka-branded one. I probably got it from Amazon. I've been very happy with it. Unfortunately, they don't seem to sell it anymore.

I always had a hood on hand for when the lighting conditions called for it, and used it maybe a third of the time (I do a lot at night). I briefly used a UV filter but it caused ghosting, so i got rid of it.