Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: 1D X, done it, anybody else??

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who loves the "new electronic smell". I confess I stuck my nose in and inhaled deeply... call me a junkie!

Congratulation Jonathan... I am sure you will enjoy it, and I hope we will get to enjoy seeing some great landscapes from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Huyer View Post
    I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who loves the "new electronic smell". I confess I stuck my nose in and inhaled deeply... call me a junkie!
    I am sure your 1Ds III is getting an old nasty stale smell to it... so I will make the sacrifice and take it so it does not mess up that new smell of your 1DX
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

I went up to the mountain bike race course in Canmore where the riders are getting ready for tomorrow's event. I played with the focus tracking, and I am immediately joining the chorus of people who are mightily impressed. Also, I have to say that the black focus points don't bother me one bit. There has been a lot of noise about bringing back the red markers, but I find this setup works very well for my eye.

In this shot I stood at the bottom of a hill where the riders would be getting some good speed. I aimed for the face, and then fired a nice long burst. I set the focus mode to 'Case 6', for subjects that change speed and move erratically. Each shot of the burst was bang-on.

I had the camera in manual mode, with Auto-ISO. I love being able to fix both the shutter speed and the aperture, and let the camera handle the exposure through the ISO.

70-200 f/2.8 L II, 1/1000 @ f/4, ISO 800

Name:  A39Q7616-001.JPG
Views: 174
Size:  181.6 KB
    Last edited by Jonathan Huyer; 07-21-2012 at 02:58 AM.

I had the camera in manual mode, with Auto-ISO. I love being able to fix both the shutter speed and the aperture, and let the camera handle the exposure through the ISO.

Looks like it did the job very well. Very fine detail to. You know we all love living vicariously through you.

As you probably know, the Auto-ISO is on the 7D and 1D IV. The 1D IV allows you to set the limits and I always tried to keep mine very tight. But maybe with the 1D X you will be able to comfortably keep the limits at higher ranges. It will be very use full. ISO 6400 was always a have to use in emergency setting on the 1D IV, never a limit I left it at. Maybe with the 1D X it will be comfortable to leave it at that limit? Maybe in a week or so you can tell us.

My 5D2 has Auto-ISO, but I've never used it much because I'm only ever doing landscape shots with it. My 1D3 doesn't have it, so the 1DX is a giant leap for me. Yes I'm certainly going to try pushing the limits, and see how it behaves in dimmer light. I think this weekend's bike race should give me some good opportunity!

My 5D2 has Auto-ISO, but I've never used it much because I'm only ever doing landscape shots with it. My 1D3 doesn't have it, so the 1DX is a giant leap for me. Yes I'm certainly going to try pushing the limits, and see how it behaves in dimmer light. I think this weekend's bike race should give me some good opportunity!
    Not to start a 5D II discussion, but the 5D II has Auto ISO but it isn't fully Auto like the 7D's, 1D IV and 1D X. It will set the ISO at what it thinks is best but it won't float it to get the proper exposure.

Sounds like you are going to have fun this weekend, of course what we really want to see from you is some bear chasing biker pics . I am headed to Yellowstone next week, I will only have my obsolete 5D II and 1D IV to take .

Hi Jonathan,

Congrats on the new 1DX! It couldn't have fallen into the hands of a nicer person or better photographer.

Your first shot looks great, can't wait to see more. You should check to see if you have that AFMA bug, hopefully you don't.

I'm strongly considering getting one, but I'm going to wait just a little while longer to see how things pan out.

Enjoy the new toy,
    Rich

Also, I have to say that the black focus points don't bother me one bit. There has been a lot of noise about bringing back the red markers, but I find this setup works very well for my eye.

They bother me, especially when it is closer to night, and I can't see those focus points through the viewfinder. It's fine in daylight, but dusk or night photography...I want the red!

Shucks, Rich --- everyone's nice on this forum! It's the main reason I like coming here.

I just got back from a great hike, and uploaded a selection of jpeg files straight from the camera to this web album:
    https://picasaweb.google.com/112330748779360240799/StanleyGlacierJuly212012?authuser=0&feat=directlin k

The only modifications I've done are cropping. The highest ISO that I got to was 1250, for the squirrel shots. I used the 70-200 f/2.8 IS II for all images. I should have brought the 1.4 TC with me, but the couple of examples with extreme cropping are a good way to show off the sensor resolution I suppose.

I'll be heading out this evening to cover the 24 hour mountain bike race, so I expect to get quite a few low-light shots. And I'll get a better opinion of the black focus points too.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Lane View Post
    7-21-2012: I'm strongly considering getting one, but I'm going to wait just a little while longer to see how things pan out.
    Ok..., moving right along, things seemed to have panned out really well! I'm glad that's over!

I ordered the 1DX on 7-24-2012 (Wed.) from kenmorecamera<dot>com and I received it two days later (Friday), which was just in time for the weekend. They are an authorized Canon dealer in Washington State. They had a few left last week and then sold them out, but now I see that they are back in stock again. They were very nice, and they were actually packing the box as we were talking on the phone. I also ordered an extra LP-E4N battery, plus I have two LP-E4's from my MKIV, so the batteries were already charged before the camera even got here. You could tell that the box was perfectly factory fresh and never opened and the shutter count was 0001.

I also ordered some more Lee Filters from them, as they are a Lee Dealer as well.

I will probably have a couple of 7D's for sale, if anyone is interested!

I'll post some test shots shortly!

Rich
    Last edited by Richard Lane; 07-30-2012 at 11:59 PM.