Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Capturing Hummers

Re: Capturing Hummers

Quote Originally Posted by JJphoto
    the harder part is getting permission to use it for gears from my wife[img]/emoticons/emotion-6.gif[/img]

Some Suggestions:

1. Just tell her that this is your Harley Davidson---Unless of course you already have a Harley.

2. Tell her it's needed for your business: So you can catalog and present interesting cases of oral pathology that you run across in your daily practice.

3. If 1 or 2 don't work, then your probably going to have to resort to bribary---diamonds are a good start [] .

Bob
    Bob

I'm not sure about first two will work, but the last one, hmmmm, no thanks, Bob, I can live with my 300mm+TCs[]

First Hummer shots of the season. This guy eluded me last year, but this year I have two or three of them floating around

Black Chinned Hummer

7D

500L with 24mm extension tube

Two off camera flashes flashes: One on bird, manual 1/16th power, 1 on background manual @1/8th power--triggered with PWs

Everything Manual

ISO 100, 1/250th, f 16

Fake background about 6 ft from bird---colorful cloth I picked up at Walmart

I went with the fake background this year, because last year it took 4-6 $20 plants for a "natural background"---this year my money is going toward birdseed, bird feeders and a cloth background--tell me what you think.

Not my best shot, but ok for the first time this year---sure wish I could have gotten some of that purple trim around his neck maybe this afternoon[:^)]

Bob

He he...I was waiting for this thread to start back up[Y]

And, Bob, those are incredible. Especially #2...in addition to the humming bird, I really like imagethe sun spot in the nectar drop.

The 2nd one looks great Bob, nice catch light in the eye, and it also looks like you caught part of the birds reflection in the water droplet.

Very creamy background, however, I prefer the left side of the background better than the right side, perhaps you may consider turning it around or adjusting it if possible. I think the burnt orange may be a little too distracting, but it's only my opinion, so go with what you like best!

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72

He he...I was waiting for this thread to start back up[img]/emoticons/emotion-21.gif[/img]

And, Bob, those are incredible. Especially #2...in addition to the humming bird, I really like imagethe sun spot in the nectar drop.

Thanks Kayaker, I really like the water drop as well. Hopefully I can get some more this afternoon.

Bob

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Lane

I think the burnt orange may be a little too distracting, but it's only my opinion, so go with what you like best!

Rich

Rich, I agree with you. I plan to try and move the background around a little until I find something I like---or perhaps buy another piece of cloth from walmart. I certainly don't want all of the shots to look the same. I also need to try and light up the purple on the birds neck. Thinking about adding another flash and hitting him from the low/front side---what do you think?

Bob

Bob

Bob,

I am definitely not the person to ask when it comes to flash photography. I shoot 99% of the time without a flash. I'm sure their are many others here that can certainly give you a better opinion than me.

Rich

I really like the background but I agree, interchanging them with a few others will definitely add interest. You have my wheels turning! The only hb feeder that my hb from last week is hanging from my garage so I would get the ugly siding lines in my photos. I am thinking of attaching a few yards of fabric to my garage right behind the feeder. My neighbors will think I'm crazy but ...then again they already think I'm crazy when they see me sitting outside in freezing weather waiting for a bird!!

My hb hasn't shown up for a few days, maybe because its very cold and windy. Weather has been horrible here!!

Thanks DD, and yes I do need to change up the background a little. I also need to incorporate some flowers into the shot, which I tried today, but the birds just wouldn
    Bob