Page 120 of 558 FirstFirst ... 2070110118119120121122130170220 ... LastLast
Results 1,191 to 1,200 of 5572

Thread: Post your best bird shots!

Re: Post your best bird shots!

Nice shots JJ ... the comorant looks to need a little sharpening on the wing but I love the pose.....what f stop did you use? You might make that image stronger by cropping some off the left and bottom then add some canvas on top and right side.

that 500mm is a life changer ain

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Eade
    the comorant looks to need a little sharpening on the wing but I love the pose.....what f stop did you use?

yes, the wing is blurred because of the small f(f5.6, ISO800), I tend to use wider aperture to avoid high ISO I should have used bigger f stop for wider DOF. I feel more comfortable using higher ISO since I understand more about exposure and PP.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Eade
    that 500mm is a life changer ain't it?

kind of I think, but I havn't touched my 300mm and 400mm since I got the 500mm, 500mm+1.4 TC needs a lot of light to get faster shutter speed even in sunny day light, it forced me to push the ISO higher so I have to pay a lot more attention on getting best exposure and effective NR in PP to reduce noise, i think that should also contribute to the improvement of the IQ. but then, reach is reach, more reach does make big difference and better bokeh, plus the contrast of the 500mm seems better too.

Quote Originally Posted by JJphoto

two recent shots with the 500mm+1.4TCII

hard to do BIF with it, so kind of miss the 300mm,it looks like I will not sell the 300mm or trade it for a 200mm2.0( but I have been thinking trade it for a 1D IV though)
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

My 1D IV came in last night and I took it out for a test drive. The 500mm felt just right for tracking BIF, and it did an awesome job. AF is a big jump up. I am gonna hang on to the 7D a week or so more to make sure the 1D IV is the way to go, but so far I am impressed. ...it even gets me thinking about trading off my two 5D's and maybe getting a 1Ds Mark III instead.

Wow, congratulations!, HD, but don't convince me please![]

anyway, I 'd like to know how you think about this 1D IV compare to the 7D, especially the Al Servo AF, tracking .... those kind of stuff. I'm thinking get a second body so I can use one for BIF with my 400mm 5.6 and one for other kind of bird shot, maybe two 7Ds is more suit to me since the 7D is just a lot lot cheaper. would you post some BIF shots take with both bodies if possible? thanks!

BlueJay .... from the backyard setup ... on a gloomy winter day

1DMKIII

300mm 2.8L IS USM + 2.0X TC II

Tripod + Wimberly II

Manual mode and evaluative metering

External Flash : 2 430EX II flashes on light stands triggered with pocket wizards

1/1000

f/6.3

ISO 1600

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/1172.343V0464.jpg[/img]

Quote Originally Posted by JJphoto
    I 'd like to know how you think about this 1D IV compare to the 7D, especially the Al Servo AF, tracking

This was the second day I got to try out the 1D IV. Nothing exceptional today as the birds were only cooperating a little. I did get to see a bald eagle, which is the first I have ever seen in my part of the world. I got shots but he was over 400 yards away so really all I got was proof I saw one.

After two days I am certain of this. Today I got to try AI mode. The auto focus is a lot more accurate and a lot faster than the 7D. When I bought the 7D to use instead of the 5D for wildlife, my keeper rate never went up and I really thought it would have because of the 7D's autofocus. The keeper rate the two times I have went out so far have went up significantly.

For some reason with the 7D it felt like I was always fighting to get enough light. It doesn't feel that way with the 1D and it never felt that way with the 5D. Maybe its the crop factor and I just needed to get more used to it.

The IQ out of any of these three cameras, I do not think you would ever notice in the final product in any difference in real world situations. The 7D image has to be manipulated more in DPP, the 5D you could manipulate just a little but for the most part seemed like they came out of the camera very close. The 1D Mark IV come out of the camera very sharp and with good IQ, when you start manipulating them there is not as much to do.

This little guy posed for me, 500mm 1D Mark IV, F4.0 1/800, ISO200

[View:http://community.the-digital-picture...neric/utility/]

f/4.5, 1/2500, ISO 200

There was no blinkies on the belly of the fish, but it does look overexposed, what do you think?

Thanks for viewing and commenting.

Nate

thanks HD, the bird's eye in the picture looks very sharp.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk
    After two days I am certain of this. Today I got to try AI mode. The auto focus is a lot more accurate and a lot faster than the 7D. When I bought the 7D to use instead of the 5D for wildlife, my keeper rate never went up and I really thought it would have because of the 7D's autofocus. The keeper rate the two times I have went out so far have went up significantly.

you are one of the few people have both 7D and 1DIV in this forum, those information are very valuable for me, and you may have more thoughts after you play your 1D IV for more times. thanks for sharing!

All the great bird-photos here make me want to make one myself as well, so I tried it....

It's hard, even with a tripod and a remote I must have been at about 4 feet from the feeder with my 70-200 on 200mm.

Anyway I did manage to get some shots, but I think nature is telling me that I should leave it to the big boys []

Here's my "best" bird shot:

Manual settings: ISO-800 F5.6 1/1000s

I don't shoot a whole lot of birds, but whenever the oppertunity presents itself, it's always fun to try.
    These are both fairly old (August and October respectively), but probably my best so far.

King Pidgeon (and his flock of bokeh).

Yeah, that tub of lard flew away. Eventually. And only a very short distance. ISO 100, 1/250 @ f9

Nothing to see here, just a pair of tits on a chair. ISO 200, 1/125 @ f5.6