Page 124 of 558 FirstFirst ... 2474114122123124125126134174224 ... LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,240 of 5572

Thread: Post your best bird shots!

Re: Post your best bird shots!

joel and JJ, I had that same question one time. Click the following link to see what Daniel Browning said about it:

community.the-digital-picture.com/.../41672.aspx
    My Flickr page
    Canon Eos 1DIII, Canon Eos 20D, Canon Eos T3i, Canon Eos M, Canon EF 400mm f5.6L, Canon EF 300mm f4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f2.8L IS II, Canon EF 180mm f3.5L macro, EF Canon 24-70mm f2.8L, Canon EFs 60mm f2.8, Canon EF 50mm f1.4, Canon EF 50mm f2.5 compact macro, Canon EF 40mm f2.8, Canon EF-M 22mm f2, Canon 430EX II

This is an immature Glossy Ibis I took in Florida

1DMKIII

500mm + 1.4TC

1/1250

f/5.6

iso 400

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/3463.343V1025.jpg[/img]

I am using RGB color space, but the problem I see mostly is a decrease in sharpness ... to get my uploads to look adequately sharp I have to over-sharpen them on my monitor (MacBook Pro) prior to uploading them.

Don

thank you guys very much for the help!

I do use sRGB for CS5, DPP and my imac monitor, so I guess the problem might be the firefox I use. so I went to the Safari, the image looked a lot better than it

Unless the program can use Adobe RGB they will look dull, I use Adobe RGB becuase I can see more nuances in the color, looks sharper and has more deitail. I just make sure everything I use is set to Adobe RGB, I post everything on the TDP in Adobe RGB and they look fine.

John.

here is another picture of ibis( thanks Joel) I took yesterday.

this time I unchecked the box of "Embed Color Profile: Adobe RGB(1998)" when trying to saved as Jpeg and resized to 1600 of width and uploaded to imageshake.com

what I see now is that the sharpness seems right, but the color contrast is lesser. I also found it seemed like the lose of contrast happened right after saving to jpeg. is it normal and should I check or uncheck that box when saving the image and maybe should I save as another format like TIFF?

edit, this time both pictures in firefox and in Safari look almost the same(same color and sharpness)

I compared web pictures with the one in CS5 again, maybe it's not the contrast, it's just the color that in CS5 looked much warmer,

Quote Originally Posted by JJphoto
    here is another picture of ibis( thanks Joel) I took yesterday.

You have had some pics that looked very good lately. Has something changed? Are you Post Processing differently now?

Or does this one bird have you stumped.

To me this pic seems like it has a little noise or something else going on. Maybe over sharpened to.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk
    You have had some pics that looked very good lately. Has something changed? Are you Post Processing differently now?

thank you Rick for the kind words. you are right, several things have changed especially after I got the 500mm, more reach makes a lot of difference, 500mm with 1.4 TC need a lot of light to keep faster shutter speed, the only way to do that is to push the ISO higher, this makes me pay more attention on getting the "best exposure". I'v also learned a lot of tricks in this forum, like the setting of highlight tone from you and auto ISO from Nate and PP in CS5 and many other things from Joel and other people...... thanks guys and I love this forum.

about the PP, I mainly use the way Joel taught us before, like using layer and layer mask to reduce the noise, I also bought a book"photoshop CS5 for Nature photographers" by Ellen Anon and her son Josh Anon, I think this book also helped me a lot to understand the PP.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk
    To me this pic seems like it has a little noise or something else going on. Maybe over sharpened to.

yes you are right, there is some noise in certain area, that area was shadow area that I used "shadows/highlights" to brightened it up. that proofs how important to push the histogram to the left to( but not clip it) reduce the noise. and that also makes me want to learn how to use fill light later.

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/5734.IMG_5F00_9943.jpg[/img]

this is the unprocessed one with ISO 1600, auto white balance.

Quote Originally Posted by JJphoto

thank you Rick for the kind words. you are right, several things have changed especially after I got the 500mm, more reach makes a lot of difference, 500mm with 1.4 TC need a lot of light to keep faster shutter speed, the only way to do that is to push the ISO higher, this makes me pay more attention on getting the "best exposure". I'v also learned a lot of tricks in this forum, like the setting of highlight tone from you and auto ISO from Nate and PP in CS5 and many other things from Joel and other people...... thanks guys and I love this forum.

about the PP, I mainly use the way Joel taught us before, like using layer and layer mask to reduce the noise, I also bought a book"photoshop CS5 for Nature photographers" by Ellen Anon and her son Josh Anon, I think this book also helped me a lot to understand the PP.

Of course if all else fails drop back to what works.

I understand what your saying about the 7D with the 500mm and fighting to get light. With the 1.4 TC its going to be even worse. I had gotten used to getting close to what I was shooting, with the crop factor of the 7D I found myself to close to get enough DOF sometimes. The first thing I did when I got the 1D Mark IV was go in and set the ISO spread from 100-1600 so it wouldn't get to high when in Auto.

Good Luck