Page 16 of 47 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Post Your Best HDR Photo

Re: Post Your Best HDR Photo

Quote Originally Posted by HiFiGuy1

Would you mind if I contacted you privately to discuss your techniques?

I don't mind, but I also don't have a solution/workflow that lends itself to email or otherwise. I get a lot of requests both online and offline to share my approach, apps and workflow (from capture to final output).

I would create a DVD or training CD if I had the time, but thankfully this workflow has created a name for myself and I have been slammed shooting real estate for over a year. I haven't had three days off in a row since 2007 and believe me... I am not complaining about it at all.

I've thumbed through the rocky nook books on HDRI while at Barnes and Noble and none of what they show is my workflow. When I went down this path I didn't have anyone (couldn't find anyone) that was using the techniques and apps for real estate. I'm sure they were out there somewhere, but I couldn't find them online or off to pick their brains. And I couldn't find any courses that taught the subject either.

I do want to create a training product that would show step by step how I deal with interiors and mixed lighting issues without using flash, but I just have not had any slowdown to do so. As soon as I do I'll put one together. I've done a lot of video in the past (corporate training vids) so I have experience in that realm as well as screen captures to showcase software. I have the capabilities to teach/show what I do.... just gotta find the time to actually produce it.

Michael James - http://www.digitalcoastimage.com

I would love to see you do it. I would definitely be interested in purchasing that DVD. I may contact you through your website for a few beginner pointers in the meantime.

Do you think that my current EF17-40 Land 40D will be useful in this endeavor? I see that you use FF, and I know just from a short romance with a 5D that it takes some wider shots for sure with my lens.

Here are a few I took recently

Alan

Top drawer! [Y]

I like the second one the best. It starts in the foreground and seems to go on forever. Great job.

Excellent images. I notice you said you used Photoshop. Are there any benefits to using Photoshop over a bespoke piece of HDR software?

Thanks, everyone. The first was my favorite at first but I like the 2nd a lot more now as well.

Alex, I didn't tag the post correctly - each one was processed in Photomatix off of three bracketed exposures, + and - 2 stops. I did then proceed to play with the generated photo in Photoshop (and Lightroom) to get them a little less aggressively HDR in look.

Great photos, and I love the fact that there is snow in the last one. Great contrast cold and hot.

Maloner, understood. I've been using Photomatix and I agree that it makes the images look too processed. I guess fiddling around in Photoshop would rectify some of the damage caused.

Sometimes what I'll do is blend it as normal in Photomatix, then take the middle exposure and paste it on top as a separate layer, then use whatever blending options make the most sense for that particular photo (it varies a lot). That way you can keep your dynamic range but also restore a more natural look to the photo. I try to get as much of that done in Photomatix itself, but I find that the preview window it shows is not really close enough to the real output to trust it completely.