Page 165 of 558 FirstFirst ... 65115155163164165166167175215265 ... LastLast
Results 1,641 to 1,650 of 5572

Thread: Post your best bird shots!

Re: Post your best bird shots!

Rich

I assume these were with the 1D so I will share this.

I use DPP, and with the 1D IV it seems my normal process from standard picture style. starts at +2 Contrast, with the black on the Goose a minus on highlights, then almost always +1 on Saturation, Sometimes saturation goes to 0 and looks right, but anything below 0 or above 1 just doesn

Yes, they were all with the 1D MKIV. I have not been using DPP. I use Aperture. I checked and I didn't use any saturation adjustments on any of these.

No, I have Highlight Tone Priority off, but I have the blown-out highlight alert on.

Do you think I should turn on HTP and if I do when should I turn it off?

Thanks about the comments!

I won't be around my computer until tonight.

TTYL,

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Lane

Do you think I should turn on HTP and if I do when should I turn it off?

Rich

I went to a Canon seminar put on by Canon a while back. One of the things they mentioned was that birders use highlight tone enabled because of Black and White birds. I had always disabled it.

I asked the question in this thread a while back if any one else enabled highlight tone priority when birding and several did. So I started using it.

It does seem to make a diffrence when you have a black headed goose like the one you took a pic of. It is easier to get the detail on the feathers.

So now I usualy have Highlight Tone Priority Enabled when birding.

Rick

Rich....the "floating" goose is a Canada goose. Though the 2 are similar looking; note the white marking. The Brant's is located on it's neck while the Canada is located on it's cheek and the Brant is smaller.

To add to the confusion I have heard of hybrids; Canada/Brant, but I don't believe I have ever seen one.

HTP; I used it w/my 40D, but I read something somewhere that it wasn't very good and having it on took way from the pic. I've never tried it on my 7D, but I do have the high light alert on.

Here's an example of me trying to expose for the eye of a Red wing black bird.....

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/750x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/5468.RWBB-reflection.jpg[/img]

....the background reeds were over exposed, but I was able to bring them back in LR and further in CS3.

I can't explain the eyeball detail in the water....

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bill W

HTP; I used it w/my 40D, but I read something somewhere that it wasn't very good and having it on took way from the pic. I've never tried it on my 7D, but I do have the high light alert on.

Bill

I had read the same, that you loose some sharpness. I do know that when I started using HTP that I could get more detail out ofbirds with blackand white as well. I really noticed the diffrence with my Duck Dog, a black lab.

Thats a good pic of the black bird, nice composition, I think the eye diffrence is the angle of the catch light in the eye reflecting on the water. Its more in the middle of the eye in the reflection.

Rick

I

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Lane

. Maybe, I should stop trying to fix my images? [img]/emoticons/emotion-1.gif[/img]

Rich,

No way ..... "Great photographs are made not taken" (Ansel Adams I believe)

PHotoshop is a tool that you should consider using to make the most of your images but probably a good idea to disclose what you've done if it's anything more than adjusting brightness, color saturation or contrast (ie basic stuff)

Joel

PS For BIF use manual mode and meter off your subject, ignoring the background. I do not use HTP but I use the alert function (blinkies on the LCD) and I take test shots to check the histogram for proper exposure without blowing out the whites or clipping the shadows.

Tern in flight

1DMKIII

500mm f/4L

1/2000

iso400

f/8

Manual mode, exposure determined by the Sunny 16 rule and test shots

Evaluative metering

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/3036.343V1570.jpg[/img]

Quote Originally Posted by Bill W

I'll try HTP on the 7D and see what I get Rick, but it doesn't sound promising after reading your statement concerning the 5D & 7D. But hey, you never know until you try.

Bill

It could be that I started using HTP at almost the same time I got my 1D IV, so really the statement I made may be in error.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Eade
    I do not use HTP but I use the alert function (blinkies on the LCD) and I take test shots to check the histogram for proper exposure without blowing out the whites or clipping the shadows.

Joel

Adjusting for the blacks and whites and using HTP really aren't similar. Or are they?

According to Canon using HTP expands the dynamic range. From what I have read, and I am talking from a layman's perspective that has read alot of articles on it, Canon modifies the processing program in the camera. The camera is supposedly programed at the optimum for dynamic range, when Canon does this they take away from the mid range to do the expansion. This causes a loss in IQ. There is alot of debateand rants I have read on how Canon does this, but it seems to be a consensus that they "rob Peter to Pay Paul".

I put mine on the favorites list on the camera so I can put it on or take it off whenever I like.

Also: The "Jay" you posted a few pages back I thought was really good.

Rick