Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Wallet full of $100 bills

Re: Wallet full of $100 bills

Awww darn ...I guess I can't carry the 85L since you don't plan on bringing it along!

I think I recall your mentioning that this wasn't totally a photography trip ...I'd hate to see your arsenal bag if it were!! I think you are very well set for lenses and I would vote for the more accessories that you mentioned.

With what's left, you can always put toward my Christmas present! []

Denise

Hi John,

Whatabout a lens not on your list, the 50 mm f/1.2 <span style="color: #ff0000;"]L<span style="color: #000000;"], for your China trip.It would give you the fast aperture you want and I can see using that focal length indoors and out. It would also give you a fast lens right in the middle of the range where your next fastest is f4. I have also been a little surprised that you aren't at least bringing your 7D as a second camera body. I am sure you have thought this through and have excellent rationale (both on the 50mm and the 7D), but to me, it takes the same lenses and gives you 1.6x more reach, built in flash in case you want to travel lighter,and also a second body if your 5DII has issues. I would be more tempted by the 7Dthan the 1.4x extender.

Justsome thoughts,

Brant

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist
    I have one in 77mm,

It may not matter, but the 24mm f1.4L II is 77mm. The 35mm is 72mm.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist

<span>In<span> the short term,
    though, I'll have enough cash for one more lens to bring on my upcoming China
    trip, on the order of ~$1600. I'm considering the <span>following:
    • <span>EF<span> 35mm f/1.4L -
      indoor, low-light lens; was hoping for a <span>MkII<span> of this <span>lens.

• <span>EF<span> 24mm f/1.4L II - indoor, low-light lens; recent
      comparisons (thanks Rick and Denise) suggest color/contrast are better than the
      35L, weather sealing is a <span>plus.

• <span>EF<span> 24-70mm f/2.8L - rounds out my 'holy trinity' of f/2.8
      zooms (16-35mm II, 70-200mm II), wish it had IS, would I <span>really
      take this and the 24-105mm f/4L <span>IS?

• EF 135mm f/2L - seems like this one is perpetually on my list, but not sure I'd bring it on a trip with the 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II already in the bag.

• <span>Accessories instead (or in addition, depending on the lens)<span>- 82mm<span>K&auml;semann<span>CPL, 82mm Singh-Ray <span>Mor-Slo<span>
      (5-stop ND), something else?

<span>As always, thoughts/opinions are appreciated!

Stop playing games, John, and just grab the lot. []

Barring that- for your trip, I would say that you'll probably be shooting a lot of non-moving or slowly moving stuff (buildings, people posing), right? So I think with the 25-105 IS (my favorite travel lens hands down), you don't need the 24-70 in addition. So I'd want another prime instead.Plus, if you're bothered that you have nothing faster than f/2.8 (as I would be), the 24-70 doesn't fix that. I think most people like to include context when traveling, so I'd suggest one of the wide primes rather than the 135 f/2 (which is pretty much the same on ff- IQ issues aside- from the 85 f/1.2 on aps-c, and the same on apsc as 200 f/2.8 on ff... I realize you aren't bringing the 7D, but I guess if you wanted those focal lengths you would).

Accessories are boring, so I won't comment on them

This leaves the 24 or the 35, a personal decision. Personally, I would go with the 35- esp if it was going to be my only fast lens.

Hi John,

I would vote for the 35/1.4 for indoor shots on FF, especially if your family is going, because I think the 24/1.4 would distort facial features too much. You have 24mm covered with the TS-E and 16-35mm/2.8 and if you need a longer exposure for outdoor use then you can use your tripod.

Rich

G'day John,

If you really want to drop some coin on more glass and we all do and would if we could, I tend to agree with Brant.[I] The 50mmF1.2 would be a very good inclusion.

Space is always an issue and if I had to cut things down I would suggest to go along with the 5DMK2,as a three lens dream bag,

16-35mmF2.8

50mmF1.2

70-200mmF2.8

Then if I could add to that bag, I would put in the 24mmTSE and the 7D.

A wide fast zoom is always my most used lens on holidays, I have the 24mmF1.4 ll[Y] and think you should definitely get one, but probably don't need it for this trip. And as for the 35mm, I think anyone considering thisfocal lengthshould probably wait and see how good the new Zeiss[H] is that comes out in February.

Cheers,

Steve
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Steve U
    And as for the 35mm, I think anyone considering thisfocal lengthshould probably wait and see how good the new Zeiss[img]/emoticons/emotion-11.gif[/img] is that comes out in February.

Anyone willing to put up with manual focus, that is.

I don't own the 35/1.4 or 50/1.2, however I do own the 85/1.2 and the 24-70mm f/2.8, so I am familiar with these focal ranges.

I would say that the 35mm range on FF is a better environmental lens than the 50mm, especially on a trip like this to another country.

When John returns from his trip, he will be able to use his 7D with the 35mm/1.4 and get close to 50mm.

Then he will have 35mm on the 5DII and 55mm on the 7D.

If he buys the 50mm, then that will be 50mm on the 5DII and 80mm on his 7D which will be somewhat redundant, because if he wants to shoot at 80mm, he most likely would select his 85mm/1.2 on the 5DII.

So, I think that the 35mm lens will be a more versatile purchase for both of the bodies that he owns, as well as a better storytelling lens for his trip.

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk
    It may not matter, but the 24mm f1.4L II is 77mm. The 35mm is 72mm.
    <div>

It matters a bit, since I figure the filter into the cost of the lens, and I have a spare 77mm B+W MRC UV which reduces the cost differential between the 24L and the 35L.
    <div>

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72
    I would be more tempted by the 7Dthan the 1.4x extender.

Well, the TC fits in the bag a whole lot more easily than the 7D. [:P]

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72
    Whatabout a lens not on your list, the 50 mm f/1.2<span style="color:#ff0000;"]L<span style="color:#000000;"], for your China trip.
    <div>Good suggestion! The thought crossed my mind, but I had decided against the 50/1.2 previously (opting for the 85L), partly due to reviews of the lens (favoring bokeh over sharpness, etc.). I'll revisit that decision...</div>
    <div></div>
    <div></div>
    <div>
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Ruyle
    Barring that- for your trip, I would say that you'll probably be shooting a lot of non-moving or slowly moving stuff (buildings, people posing), right? So I think with the 25-105 IS (my favorite travel lens hands down), you don't need the 24-70 in addition. So I'd want another prime instead.Plus, if you're bothered that you have nothing faster than f/2.8 (as I would be), the 24-70 doesn't fix that. I think most people like to include context when traveling, so I'd suggest one of the wide primes rather than the 135 f/2
    </div>
    <div></div>
    <div>Good points, thanks! </div>
    <div></div>
    <div></div>
    <div>[Y]</div>
    <div></div>
    <div>I'll keep thinking!</div>
    </div>
    </div>

John,

Look up we both posted at the same time.

Rich