Page 19 of 148 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969119 ... LastLast

Thread: Post Your Best Nature Shots!

Re: Post Your Best Nature Shots!

Whoops. I guess that was too big. I'll post a smaller one so you get the full picture.

Rod Robinson

www.theimagesofafrica.com

Here's a smaller version.[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.22.67/elephant-crossing.jpg[/img]

Rod Robinson

Here is another one I took in the Serengeti in Tanzania.[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.22.67/looking-at-you_2D00_lioness.jpg[/img]

Rod Robinson

Rod

Great photos! I love the first one and respect the second one! Certainly not backyard or backroad pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by Dann Thombs

Wow you were able to get close. I love the second.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

But not too close - they can give a nasty bite and I don't like to disturb them too much. You won't get anywhere near as close to the adults.

Thanks everyone for your comments and encouragements, especially Bill for the critique on the whimbrel photo (curlews look similar but have longer bill). I did what you adviced and it turned out much better. The reason for +1/3 compensation because I shot with a 400mm lens and ideally I should have used something like the better beamer to extend the coverage of my flash output. However, I didn't have one, so after taking a few shot at 0 compensation I found out the images were a little dark.

Dan, 300 f/2.8 + 2x, how do you like that set up?
    Ciann, the baby seal on the second image is really nice, I like how you got really close and low to it.
    Rod, the elephant safari image is nice, only wish the oof bush isn't there. Must be a thrill to go on Safari, I would love to go on one in the future.[]

Cian,

That's not a cub. That's an adult lioness.

Rod Robinson

Excuse me Cian. I got caught in your message to someone else. My mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinh Nhut Nguyen
    Dan, 300 f/2.8 + 2x, how do you like that set up?

It's a dream. A 600mm f/5.6 that's still pretty sharp wide open. Can't beat it. Plus you get to keep the minimum working distance of the 300, so you can do some moderate macro if need be.

Walking through the woods near the stable where my horses live ...

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.23.54/IMG_5F00_8324_5F00_8.jpg[/img]

This is just as it came from the camera's JPEG except for scaling. The white balance was set to shade, as I had been taking pictures in the shade. I also used Digital Photo Professional to adjust the white balance of the RAW picture (I usually shoot in RAW + JPEG). Daylight is shown below, but I don't like it as much, even though it's more accurate. The warm glow with shade balance looks better to me. What do you think? (Cloudy was sort of between these, naturally.)

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.23.54/IMG_5F00_8324_5F00_daylight_5F00_8.jpg[/img]

Canon 30D, EF-S 17-85mm IS @ 50mm, f/8, 1/400 ISO 400 (I could probably have gone to ISO 100, but many of my other shots around this were at 1/60 or so.) Style is based upon "Landscape," with Sharpness 4 &amp; Saturation 2. I usually leave it there, as the colors are more vivid, unless I'm photographing people (which is not often)

P.S.: Just for kicks, I opened this in Photoshop Elements and tried the various "auto" choices in the Enhance menu. You really don't want to see what "autosmart fix" did. Sometimes, autolevels does a good job, but, in this case, autosmart fix lightened the shadows a lot, darkened the highlights a bit, and changed the color so that the mud is almost purple. Even more fun was setting the white balance to tungsten. You should try that, sometimes--shoot in RAW and play around with the white balance, style, etc. That's a good way to learn just what the effects are.
    George Slusher
    Lt Col, USAF (Ret)
    Eugene, OR