Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: one more time canon 100-400 IS

Re: one more time canon 100-400 IS

I don;t want to create a new topic so I'll ask this here:

how is the IS mode 2 on the 100-400mm L working? I know it's for panning and it will correct the vertical movement but what about if I shoot in portrait orientation? (I know is not usual to do so but never know) will it work or will it just ruin my pictures?

thank you

The short answer is that mode 2 IS works for panning with the camera in either the landscape or the portrait orientation.

The long answer I'll copy from a [url="http://www.openphotographyforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1919]2007 forum post[/url] by Chuck Westfall (the person who write's Canon's TechTips newsletter):
    <div class="post"]
    <div class="posttext"]Every Canon SLR lens that has an Image Stabilizer built in has two so-called "gyro sensors" oriented at right angles to each other. With this design, the level of IS functionality is the same whether the camera is in landscape or portrait orientation. When the camera is in portrait orientation, the level of IS functionality is the same whether the hand grip of the camera is on the top or the bottom.

In all of these cases, IS lenses that have a Mode 2 setting operate as follows when Mode 2 is selected: Both gyro sensors sample the direction and amplitude of lens shake simultaneously and continuously whenever the IS system is activated. The resulting data is analyzed by a dedicated microcomputer in the lens, and that microcomputer in turn controls the behavior of the electromagnets surrounding the movable optical components of the IS lens. These electromagnets are also oriented at right angles to each other. If the lens is set to Mode 2 *and* the microcomputer determines that intentional panning is taking place, it shuts off stabilization in the panning direction regardless of camera orientation. If, on the other hand, the microcomputer does not detect intentional panning, then horizontal and vertical stabilization is executed simultaneously, just as it is in Mode 1.

Canon anticipates that in most cases, the camera and lens will be held either horizontally or vertically, in order to keep horizon lines straight in the resulting picture. In such cases, the typical behavior of the IS system is covered by the explanation above. If, on the other hand, the panning direction is diagonal with respect to the orientation of the gyro sensors, and Mode 2 is selected, there is a possibility that the level of panning detected by each gyro sensor will be sufficient to cause the microcomputer in the lens to shut off stabilization in both directions at once. Since the decision to shut off stabilization in Mode 2 is made by the microcomputer, there is no overt way for the photographer to control it.

Let me know if this helps to answer your question.

Best Regards,

Chuck Westfall
    Director/Media &amp; Customer Relationship
    Camera Marketing Group/Canon U.S.A., Inc.
    </div>
    </div>
    <div class="post"]
    <div class="posttop"]</div>
    </div>

thank you John ,you really know everything.see you at the next question...I hope

LOL. I think you mean Daniel Browning, but thanks anyway - mostly, I just know how to use Google... []

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist

The IS in the EF 100-400mm is tripod-sensing, meaning if the camera is very still (as it would be on a good tripod, or sitting on your table), the lens actually turns the IS system OFF.

I do believe you are wrong here, this early system isn't actually tripod sensing, though most of the newer ones are. According to the manual included with the 100-400, shooting on a tripod with the IS system engaged can "introduce errors". I totally agree with your recommended test, just thought I would clear this up.

Jordan

Quote Originally Posted by jcrowe87
    I do believe you are wrong here, this early system isn't actually tripod sensing

Thanks for clarifying. Bryan's review of the 100-400mm states, "While the 100-400 L's IS system will detect a tripod and automatically disable itself, turning off IS when using a tripod will save a little battery life and cause the IS mechanism to be locked in a centered position," so that's what I based my answer on.

I won't have my very own instruction manual until Monday, when it arrives with my brand new EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM lens. []

Well then woohoo for Monday!

I wouldn't call it garbage by any means, but when I compare it to 70-200mm L with a 2X Teleconverter on my 1D MK III, it is harder to get a sharp image, the IS is not as effective. Of course, I have only had it a week, and the weather is so bad that whenever the sun peeks out for 5 minutes, I shoot birds near or at our feeder out the front window, so sharpness is affected. I'd say that unless I pay careful attention to how still I hold it, and brace myself, I get lots of blurred images.

These were taken thru the window at 400mm this morning, the best of probably 25-30 images. Many were spoiled due to the birds hopping around, and the rest due to clouds passing over, or just not as good a pose by the bird. The icy wind was gusting as well. Iconsidering that I returnthe lens, since I use it only at 400mm and get something else, maybe a 300mm F:/2.8 IS, or just use my 70-200mm f4 IS with a TC. i've had the 400mm 5.6, and the lack of IS made thongs difficult at slower shutter speeds.

Here is the 70-200mm f4 with 2X.