Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Firestarter & TDP Members!! Harshest C&C Requested!

Re: Firestarter & TDP Members!! Harshest C&C Requested!

Quote Originally Posted by TakahiroW4047
    where upon completion, they will ceremoniously destroy it.

I hope your there and can get the money shot....

I like the idea of a tripod and a really long exposure to get some blurry movements of the monks and maintaining a sharp image of the artwork, especially at a higher angle.

That looks like a tuff assignment. I agree with many of the other suggestions:

Shoot with a wider aperture and blur the background more, as some of these look like snapshots. You could save some of them by cropping later.

Shoot tighter, but don't totally give up on the wide shot with more subject isolation and blurred background.

Shoot lower.., as I love the last one.

Another hurdle to overcome is that they are all wearing masks and looking downward, so you're not getting faces or eyes.

Try to get some shots showing their eyes, even if they're just sitting there or standing.

Try to get some candids without the mask, as well as them putting on and taking off the mask. I assume the mask is so that they don't blow on the sand, because I wouldn't want you to invade their privacy.

There is some glare on the blue board in the upper shots, the last one looks good. I don't know if you have any Polarizing filters with you? Flash diffuser? Oh.., I see that you have a CPL. Did you use that for the last one, because the colors and the blue board look the best in that one too? The CPL, may also help with the gentleman wearing the eyeglasses.

Make sure you get the finished art creation as well as them destroying it, and get a final shot of the artwork destroyed.

Rich

Ahhh!! I should have delayed going there!! I left without reading half of the most recent advices. I really like the blurry motion idea with the tripod []

I went near noon forgetting it was lunch time. There were 0 observers but some of the monks were taking turns, still diligently working on the Mandala. I took the opportunity to do a quick light setup.

I'm standing on a chair to get as high and close as I could get.

Speedlight on a stand with a grid pointing down from camera right, and front (Mandala)

Speedlight bounced off the wall camera left, and behind (Light Fill for the Monks)

Vignette in Photoshop.

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/600x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/14/1374.11_2D00_16_2D00_10-Day-6-_2800_4_2900_.jpg[/img]

I'm wondering if the monks are too underexposed in this one...what do you all think?

Motion blur would gone well with this one...maybe I can work something out with PS [*-)]

<meta charset="utf-8" />

I like it. It keeps getting better and better.

Underexpoosed myabe in somes opinion but I like it.

If there were some way to get more bounce of light off the Mandala in to the monks face, the glow might be interesting.

Also if you do get the tripod set up, for the angle this is at. Do live view to get the Mandala in focus as sharp as you can. It looks good here but with a tripod you could get another lvl or two of sharpness.

Edit: Just re read your post. Standing on a chair with a tirpod might be tuff and dangerous maybe not the best suggestion on my part. If I suggest jumping off a cliff, please do not do it. [:P]

Sure, the Monks are underexposed, but I think it works here as the artwork is the focal point. I like the composition of this one too. Try to see if you can bounce the light more evenly or add a diffuser, even if you have to make one.

Keep up the good work!

Rich

I tried photoshopping in a little motion blur around their hands to see how it looks. Their hands are not the focus of the image so it's subtle, but it's there...

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/600x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/14/6710.11_2D00_16_2D00_10-Day-6-_2800_4_2900_-Motion-Blur.jpg[/img]

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk

There was a rare occasion where only one monk was working, so I managed to use the adjacent wall to bounce the flash for an up close and personal shot [img]/emoticons/emotion-2.gif[/img] The low angle of light really adds definition to the sand so personally I really like this one.

I like this one more then the first three.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Ditto, This really shows the level of concentration and detail in the artwork----

Nice shot. But, I do like the feel/atmosphere of the of the other two as well-----well done

Bob
    Bob

I second the tripod w/ motion blur shot, was the first thing I thought of.

Definitely getting better as you go!

I'm wondering if the monks are too underexposed in this one...what do you all think?

Motion blur would gone well with this one...maybe I can work something out with PS

1. I think you did a good job here isolating the Mandala, but still keeping the monks and thier intensityin the picture. For this shot and mood, I do notthink the monks are underexposed, but to me, the mandala is just a little bright, Like Nithawk said, perhaps a diffuser so the light isn't quite as harsh.

2. Also, the sand cups in the top center of the picture are a little distracting, perhaps you could clone them out---just and idea

Can't wait to see more.

Bob

Bob