Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: External Hardrive

Re: External Hardrive

Knock on wood!

I've thankfully never ever had a PC drive die on me at home, but working in IT I've seen all kinds die I typically replace my PC all the time and now that I have the NAS I have the luxury of having some nice Velociraptor drives as my primary OS / gaming drives in Raid0.

But I will say the Seagate SAS drives seem to be pretty reliable with the hundreds we use in our servers, I've personally replaced 4 in the past few years.

But for home PC I'm with you, I will stick with WD until they fail me... I have a Green one that's been in my Media PC which I never ever shut off and it's used on a daily basis to watch TV/movies and it's running like a charm and uses less power!

its all about luck of the draw.

A hard drive (excluding SSD) is a mechanical component, has moving parts and is very delicate. You could have a drive that was knocked in transit etc, then your going to get a duff one.
    In my time using Maxtor hard drives (before Seagate took them over) I had nothing but problems with them, even at work we kept gettign duff ones, but that was a while ago when Maxtor were on their own, now they technicaly don't exist as they are owned by Seagate down. Again thats my own expereince with them.

I have had X2 80GB Western Digital internal hard drives in RAID running my Operating system for YEARS and have been perfect. All my other internal drives are western digital and have been brilliant. All my external drives are Seagate - dont ask why just what I do :P.

IMO Seagate and Western Digital are the 2 leaders in top make hard drives, again down to personal opionion what you have had luck with and not.

Both of them make brilliant external& internaldrives, so take your pick as to which one you fancy.

I would personally say spend the extra money and go for a lacie rugged or raid drive they might cost a bit more but they are work horse drive. That's the only brand I trust my first harddrive from over 6 years ago is still running strong with 600gb of stuff on it

Good luck with you purchase