Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which lens will fit my needs the best.

Re: Which lens will fit my needs the best.

First of all, how much cash do you have? If you use tripod there's no need for IS. Because when you turn IS on tripod it thinks you handheld it and shaking a lot it will try to correct and perhaps make your photo worse!

Less cash

Canon EF 300/4,0 L IS USM
    Canon EF 400/5,6 L USM

More cash

Canon EF 400/2,8 L IS USM, with extender this gives you like 5,6 should give you like 1/1000 or more in shutter speed and you could use higher ISO 800+

Use 1.4 instead for 2, it gives better images quality. Should be able to get nice shots! Probably your dream shots

But this setup probably gonna break your wallet if you don't have much cash to spare

He's renting the equipment, not buying it. While there is certainly a price difference in renting different lenses, none will likely break him. However, price is still a consideration, I imagine...

I will have about $125 dollars to spend on a rental. I do realize that IS will not stop action. I will need it when hand holding shooting them in the trees. I might be able to get away with using my tripod setup (see my first post for info.) to catch them in the trees.

I will also have to pan along with the Eagles in flight. I will not be able to follow them my tripod setup.

While panning, will IS help? Or, should I just turn it off and shoot bursts?

Anyway, for $125 what can I rent that will best fit?

By-the-way, please check this picture out. I am impressed! It's the first picture on the top (first place winner). This was taken where I'm going (not by me).

http://www.nationaleaglecenter.org/photoContest.htm

Hmmmmmmmmmmm.............well, I was wrong. His budget *is* a major factor in his choice of lenses. Based on your budget, I'd suggest this:

Renting either the

Canon 400mm f/5.6L for $52 insured + shipping

or the

Canon 300mm f/4L IS with the 1.4x Extender for $78 insured total + shipping

Prices quoted are from lensrentals.com and are for a 7 day period. I'd highly suggest using the "RENT" links in the lens reviews here on the-digital-picture. Personally, I'd go with the 300mm lens with the 1.4x extender so that you'd have IS and have the option of using the lens at 300mm or 420mm. I'd strongly recommend taking a monopod if you have one, but turn the IS off when using the monopod as the IS isn't tripod sensing.

rent 800 lol!!!

I think Sean's plan will work. The EF300MM f/4plus 1.4X extender fits the budget and gives pretty good reach. A stretch of the buget to the EF300MM f/2.8 plus extender would be outstanding.

I have a day rental place here in town that rents theEF300MM F/2.8 for $45/day. It's the next best thing to owning it.

Hi Steve,

I recently went to Orlando wetlands where I clicked bald eagles, ospreys,terns, etc. to mention a few. I used the 100-400 F4 L lens and the results were stunning. This is the first time I used this lens and I see BIG difference from my kit lens. I was on a budget and this is the lens i then afford. I caught few birds in flight and the pictures have come out good. I feel disgusted to go back to my kit lens :P But from my experience I would suggest the 100-400 F4 L lens.

Cheers!

Dev

the 100-400 is really versatile. You mighta little betterquality with either the 300 f/4 IS , or the 400 f/5.6. But, although the300 f/4 is a little faster, you get a little more reach with the 100-400, if you need it, which is nice. If you put a teleconverter on the 300 f/4 to make it a 420mm f/5.6, I don't know that you've got a quality advantage anymore, and the length advantage isn't significant. The 400 f/5.6 will give you reach, but doesn't have image stabilization, and image stabilization is nice too.

Plus, the 100-400 can ZOOM. I've actually had the experience, on rare occasion, where I was creeping up on a seal or bird, and accidentally got TOO close to use the full length. With a 100-400, you just pull it back. I wouldn't want to be futzing with a teleconverter on wet rocks and running water...

Thanks for all the responses. They have helped me narrow down my choices for my $125 rental budget.

Now, lets say I don't have a rental budget.

What is the lens that is stillPRACTICALto shoot HAND HELD with the best image quality and longest reach? I may be able to spend a more money if it means I come home with the shots that I am expecting.

Again, thanks for all your comments. They may make the difference of my success. I just want the best lens for the job and let the rest fall on my shoulders.

I may sound crazy to all of you but to me, the lens that is still PRACTICAL to shoot HANDHELD with the best image quality and longest reach is no other than the 500 f/4L IS. Is the price practical, that depends on you.