Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: B+W ND Filter?

Hi all,

Just to let you know I took the plunge and got the ND filter from B+W. Wow, just wow. The quality of images when using it is just amazing. I can't believe it turns out that great. I've been using AV mode and I can now see why people recommend it over TV etc.

Found some old shipwrecks I'm going to use it on

Thanks for all your advice.

I wish I knew how to use the histogram hahaha. I knowe you can view it on taken images, but can you use it while composing to check for lights/shadows and whatever else?

Quote Originally Posted by Squidy View Post
    I wish I knew how to use the histogram hahaha. I knowe you can view it on taken images, but can you use it while composing to check for lights/shadows and whatever else?
    Some cameras show the histogram in live view.

Quote Originally Posted by jrw View Post
    I suppose that the next step will be for Canon to implement a live histogram for use in Bulb mode so that users can see how their long captures are doing and terminate based on that rather than guessing. If Sony can put it in their bodies.......... Any chance this is coming in Magic Lantern for 5D3?
    That sounds useful. That's now on my "want to have" list... which does not seem to be getting smaller.
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

ML has this for the video mode, it is in live view (three channel) though not during the exposure on bulb. (on their current official releases). It might be a nifty feature add for the 5d3 release. I will make the request (don't expect anything close to a miracle )

There is a "bulb ramping" feature which computes the exposure value for those sunrise/sunset events where the exposure doesn't change too fast - I have used this feature so I don't know much about it - it might work....
    Last edited by Busted Knuckles; 01-03-2014 at 11:17 PM.
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

Quote Originally Posted by jrw View Post
    While composing, a live histogram is available in LiveView on many of Canon's more recent bodies.
    Oh yeah, found that one, got no idea how to read it though. I guess I'm just used to the one in Lightroom etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Squidy View Post
    Oh yeah, found that one, got no idea how to read it though. I guess I'm just used to the one in Lightroom etc.
    Check this out: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tu...stograms.shtml

Weird, I was thinking it would be like shadows on the left, exposure in the middle and highlights on the right. I'm going to go out and experiment with it today though

The edit to my previous post didn't bump it up. So here is the 2nd thought on ML and long exposures.

There is a custom "bulb" timer that can be configured as well as "bulb ramping" (think sunrise/set) which is a feature which calculates the changing exposure values and makes adjustments accordingly - though I believe from the 1st exposure vs. used to set the first. I have not used it so two pinches of salt, but everything else these guys come up with is pretty darn cool.
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911