I've searched and searched and read dozens of specific suggestions when people ask "what tripod should I buy?" which gets muddied by discussions of the head. I'm wondering what I need for tripod legs only in terms of supported weight.

How much "supported weight" is enough for the legs for an 8# - 10# rig (camera, grip, 100-400 lens)? I realize that many manufacturers inflate their numbers and there's no standards. Anyone have any suggestions to offer for manufacturers that under or over estimate their ratings to excess?

I'd like to keep this venture in the $400-600 range including the tripod head, so any thoughts are welcome. While I don't want to have a monster heavy tripod, I am not necessarily needing fold-away size or deep woods trekking light weight. I'm also trying to avoid cheap Chinese junk which seems to be hard these days.

Things I've noticed in shopping:

B&H has a really good deal on the Manfrotto 055CXPRO3 and PRO4. Manfrotto also has a new MT190 series out. That would mean a ~15# - 17# rated limit, though.
Induro (Chinese, I know) has some good looking and well-reviewd options. "Only" 3 leg angles.
Gitzo - very nice, but will stretch my budget. I'd probably need to wait on this or drastically cut the quality head I get.

And maybe the answer is "wait". My old tripod finally stopped clamping well (old Pro Albinar from the 80's) and it is time to upgrade but it's not a "must have now" item.