Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Legal Right to Photograph a Public Event

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Legal Right to Photograph a Public Event

Quote Originally Posted by jusap

I agree with Keith, not unless you signed anything stating that you can't take pictures during the game, then they can't stop you. Also taking to consideration the location. It's a public place. If you're in a covered area or within some school vicinity then they might have the upper hand on this. I'm not sure on these as these are just my opinion.

<div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

I never have problems at schools. I have an ASA background check card and a press pass from the local school district that seems to eliminate any issues with high school sports.

Now that everyone has given their 2cents, where is the legal opinion?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    In the mind of a lawyer somewhere. Only problem is it costs more than two cents. []

Mine was the Laymen verbiage for the legal. I work for some local magazines and we have been through this quite a bit. Anything that can be seen from a public are is open game. That is how the paparazzi make a living. In fact the paid photographer may be the one closest to violating some law since he is photographing minors and for profit. The only thing that is saving him is that he is selling the images to the childs parents otherwise he needs a release.

The only time you run into issues is if you shoot a picture of someone and put it in an ad to try to sell a product. If you use it for editorial purposes, the general public is at your mercy.

I'm not a lawyer, but why not try putting the burden of proof on the official instead of trying to defend yourself? Simply ask, politely, "OK, would you mind telling me what law gives you the authority to tell me I can't shoot photos here?" Or simply, "Sorry, can you tell me exactly what law you believe I'm violating right now?" Especially if the official is threatening to call the police.

No matter what the response is, you can follow up by asking if the law differentiates between different types of photo equipment. The official won't be able to answer any of these questions, and you can shut the whole thing down by saying -- again, nicely -- "Actually, I do know the law, and I have every right to make photographs of my child and anyone else in public view. The law is very clear on that, so please let's not make this into a problem."

By the way,even if the official photographer has a contract granting exclusivity, if it's an open event on public property, how can two other parties agree to take away your rights without your consent?

If they threaten to call the cops, tell them to go ahead. The police aren't going to arrest you for taking pictures of your own kid just because you have a white lens. Just remember to be reasonable, and if the cops are misinformed enough to ask you to leave, respectfully ask them the same questions you asked the official.

If that doesn't work, say something about collateral estoppel. I heard it on Law &amp; Order.

<div style="clear: both;"]</div>

This link, given earlier in the thread, is to a document written BY a lawyer.

http://www.krages.com/phoright.htm

sounds pretty crazy to me! I've never had or seen that problem.

He was probably annoyed that yours was bigger, haha.

Lets just ask this, would they have said anything if you had just a point and shoot camera??

Quote Originally Posted by Maleko
    Lets just ask this, would they have said anything if you had just a point and shoot camera??

Of course not, it's purely one of those.. wow look at his camera.

Heck I took my 70-200 out the other night and our security at the Condo said.. "NICE CAMERA" meanwhile I've taken my NiftyFifty out a few times and never got that compliment

But little did he know, I'm like.. it's a nice lens, the camera needs to be upgraded!!! [H]

Geoff,

I think I read some of those before. Couldn't make it all the way through before my eyes started to feel heavyyy. haha. Good links though.

-Rodger

Quote Originally Posted by Maleko

sounds pretty crazy to me! I've never had or seen that problem.

He was probably annoyed that yours was bigger, haha.

<div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

This is funnier than you can imagine. Only this forum will truly appreciate this reply. There was another very serious photographer roaming the sidelines near me with two Nikon D3x bodies. One was sporting a 70-200mm f/2.8 and the other had a 200-400mm f/4.0 on it, but of course, those lenses are black. The picture nazi's never even spoke to him. Apparently, white lens equals professional while black lens makes you an amatuer.

Maybe they just knew all pros shoot Canon...