I dont mean to crowd the forums with another "I need help" post, but I'm in a bit of a tricky situation. I think I've done my homework, but I remain paralyzed with actually making a decision.

Background:

-I have a 20D with the 18-55 kit lens and a 50mm f/1.8 II.

-I like to shoot just about anything. Portraits, sports, nature, you get the idea. For examples of what I shoot go here.

Dilemma: 70-200mm f/2.8 L non IS, or 70-200mm f/4 non IS withbeginnerstrobe kit.

Explanation:

My next lens purchase will be a 70-200mm L lens. That I am certain of. Now what exact lens remains up in the air for me. Originally I had my heart set on the f/2.8 non IS. I dont have the money for IS and don'tnecessarilyneed it. (Though I would upgrade eventually).

I plan on spending right around 1K on photographyequipmentthis summer. The 70-200mm f/2.8 L was right at the edge of my budget. But just now as I was browsing through the Strobist site, the desire to try off camera lighting struck me. Off camera lighting has been in the back of my head for awhile now. I woulddefinitelylike to expand my abilities into that area. There is a "starving student" strobe kit on Midwest Photo Exchange. I would mostlikelygo for the one with the Cactus V2s trigger unlesspersuadedotherwise. Heck I'd even be open to building a kit from the ground up with pc cords if I had to.

I plan on shooting my school's soccer games this year. I shot one peewee game a month ago on an overcast day in AV mode set to f/4 and my niftyfifty. I got reasonable shutter speeds every time.

If I go with the 70-200 f/4 non IS and a flash kit, a 70-200mm f/2.8 IS would be next on the list. (with the 70-200 f/4 going up for sale)

If I go with the 70-200 f/2.8 non IS, a flash kit is next on the list.

So I'm asking all the great andknowledgeablepeople on this site to give me your opinions.

Thanks in advance,

Rodger