Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 5D mkII and Err 30

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: 5D mkII and Err 30

And that is what I did when I noticed that the camera did not work properly. I removed the battery right after I got the error. I let it open without battery, CF card and lens for days.

Just came across another discussion forum [View:http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=31592&hl=].

25% failure on the 5dmkII during an Antarctica expedition. Not good.

Quote Originally Posted by Jorn

Just came across another discussion forum. 25% failure on the 5dmkII during an Antarctica expedition. Not good.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Please research that further before throwing up your hands in disgust.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/antarctica-2009-worked.shtml

Light rain on a couple of days, early on. Salt spray was always an issue. -3C to +2C.

Weather was the culprit in some failure cases, but salt spray and hard knocks in others.

A Nikon 80-400mm lens came apart.

Of the 26 5D2 cameras (one-third of the cameras on board were 5D2), six failed at one time or another. Three of these recovered. One of those cameras was a Canon loaner, that may have seen adverse conditions previously.

Several 5D2s with grips collected water at the camera/grip junction.

A 1Ds3 had intermittent problems, and a 1D3 kept reporting Error 99.

----------------------------------------------------

I'm sorry that your camera is having problems. That said, I don't think this Antarctica trip is a valid baseline. However, another review on that site referred to the 5D2 as a "plastic computer", which is probably a suitable description of the camera.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Salt water/spray is not good for any electronics. IMHO, a camera with "improved weather sealing" should handle weather other than just sunshine. The time I had the camera it was not a single day with rain or moisture of any kind, except for the last day when it stopped working.

If storing this camera in a plastic bag for 2 hours while it rains cause the type of damages as the pictures show, it is not worth a cent.

Canon Norway has asked for my camera for further examinations.