Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help deciding on body and lense

Quote Originally Posted by Mpieris View Post
    Ben, looks like you have a 24-70 2.8L. What do you think compared to the 70-200? I know they are for different ranges, but which would be a more used lens given the type of pictures I mentioned I like taking?
    I guess it comes down to personal preference. The 24-70mm f/2.8L is a nice lens, but I haven't used it very much at all for nearly a year now because I am a huge fan of really narrow depth of field, and for me the 24-70mm (even wide open at f/2.8) didn't deliver the depth of field I wanted. Don't get me wrong, you can still get good subject isolation from it (particularly with the 5D2), just not to the level that I like. Whereas at 200mm and f/2.8 aperture you can really separate a subject from its background.

For general walkaround style photography then the 24-70mm is most certainly a good lens, and would also lean itself toward landscape photography more so than the 70-200mm. 24mm on full frame is wide enough for most landscape work.

So yes, the 24-70mm would potentially suit you very well but it just doesn't quite suit the style of photography that I like to work towards any more.

Here's a couple of older examples of shots I've taken with the 5D2 + 24-70mm f/2.8 combo. Since then I've changed my style a little. It can definitely produce some great results. These probably don't illustrate my point about depth of field very well but it might give you an idea of what the lens is capable of.

27mm @ f/11:

Nay and Jono by Ben__Taylor, on Flickr

24mm @ f/9.0

Simpson Desert Series # 3 by Ben__Taylor, on Flickr

24mm @ f/8.0 (cropped)

Moo Juice! by Ben__Taylor, on Flickr

24mm @ f/2.8

Cleveland Pt by Ben__Taylor, on Flickr

50mm @ f/3.5

Cuteness... by Ben__Taylor, on Flickr

Here's a couple with the 5D2 and 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II

200mm @ f/2.8

Buff Sided Robin by Ben__Taylor, on Flickr

200mm @ f/2.8

Eastern Brown Snake by Ben__Taylor, on Flickr

I hope this helps you anyway. It's hard to describe sometimes why I chose one lens over the other, some are just my "favourites" and others are there because at some time they might come in handy.

Ben
    Last edited by btaylor; 04-24-2012 at 06:55 AM.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

I use the 70-200 f/2.8 IS LII on my 5DII and 5DIII about 90% of the time! I shoot portraits though, so it depends on what you're shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by clemmb View Post
    The only difference is that in AI-servo the 5D has 6 focus assist points around the center point that you do not see in the viewfinder but they do help

Clemmb; the point I was making is that the 5D II isn’t going to be worse than the 40D, and should be just a bit better. I never owned the 40D but did own the 50D. When I went from the 50D to the 5D II I noticed some improvement with the AF system, but not enough to say it was any kind of determining factor in the move.

@mpieris; I owned the 24-70mm F/2.8 for almost three years, just sold it a few months back. The Image Quality from the 70-200mm F/2.8 II is superior, but since they are different focal lengths there really is nothing to compare. I stopped using the 24-70mm in favor of primes, I usually carry a 35mm or 24mm with me to cover anything wide if it comes up. I keep my 70-200mm II as the main lens. I think you will want either a prime or a wide zoom for the wide end occasionally.

Thanks for the insight Ben. Your photos are beautiful. Sounds like I can't really go wrong here. Leaning towards the 70-200.

[QUOTE=HDNitehawk;68810]
    ]@mpieris; I owned the 24-70mm F/2.8 for almost three years, just sold it a few months back. The Image Quality from the 70-200mm F/2.8 II is superior, but since they are different focal lengths there really is nothing to compare. I stopped using the 24-70mm in favor of primes, I usually carry a 35mm or 24mm with me to cover anything wide if it comes up. I keep my 70-200mm II as the main lens. I think you will want either a prime or a wide zoom for the wide end occasionally.

Thanks HDN. Any recommendations on a great lens for those landscapes, either prime or wide zoom?

I use the 35mm F/1.4 L and the 24mm F/1.4 L II. I also own the 16-35mm F/2.8 L II, but I prefer the prime lenses over the zooms for Image Quality. If I were to recommend just one for landscapes it would be the 24mm F/1.4 L II.