Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Canon 85mm f/1.8 or Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM Lens

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Canon 85mm f/1.8 or Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM Lens

It seems that Tamron is a bit more consistent than Sigma - quality is good for some Tamron lenses, less good for others, but it seems their QC is better than Sigma's - however, it's still not up to Canon's, IMO. It stands to reason - 3rd party lenses are generally cheaper than their Canon equivalents, and the cost savings has to come from somewhere.

Denise,

I share your lust for the 85mm f/1.2 L II USM lens. =)

I am personally uneasy purchasing non-Canon branded lenses, mostly due to the comments I have read here and elsewhere. I can recommend the EF 50mm f/1.2L USM lens as I caved and purchased it over the 85mm. It

Quote Originally Posted by doggiedoc
    I can recommend the EF 50mm f/1.2L USM lens as I caved and purchased it over the 85mm. It's priced a little better. Do like me and "save up" LOL

I have a non-L 50mm so maybe I should take a closer look at the one you suggest. I am heading toward winter in Wisconsin and usually don't do a lot of shooting outdoors during that time. It will give me time to practice my portrait shooting and save up for come spring when I take inventory of my lenses and make a decision on what goes, what stays and what gets purchased. All new reviews should be out by that time also.

So in the meantime ...I'm with you on the "save up" plan!

Denise

FWIW - I rented the 85mm f/1.2 (original version not the new one) several times before I purchased the EF 50mm f/1.2L USM and I am pleased with the focal distance. The 85mm is a little long for me when taking pictures of patients (in the exam room).

I still would like to purchase the 85mm f/1.2 L II USM some day just because it

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725

Quote Originally Posted by doggiedoc
    I can recommend the EF 50mm f/1.2L USM lens as I caved and purchased it over the 85mm. It's priced a little better. Do like me and "save up" LOL

I have a non-L 50mm so maybe I should take a closer look at the one you suggest. I am heading toward winter in Wisconsin and usually don't do a lot of shooting outdoors during that time. It will give me time to practice my portrait shooting and save up for come spring when I take inventory of my lenses and make a decision on what goes, what stays and what gets purchased. All new reviews should be out by that time also.

So in the meantime ...on with you on the "save up" plan!

Denise

<div>

The 50L is an amazing lens. Easily my most used and most trusted lens. The image quality is quite a bit better than my 24-70 and it is so much more fun to shoot with.
    </div>

I finally found this thread! I suppose it