Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I'm trying to choose one lens for now, 17-55, 24-105

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I absolutely concur with Daniel, the 17-55mm is a much better in terms of sharpness and contrast. It is called the "hidden L" for 1.6 bodies. Some people such as yourself prefer the range of the 24-105mm on a crop body and I absolutely respect that, I just think people should be informed in there choice.

John.
    Amateurs worry about gear, pros about the pay, masters about the light, and I just take pictures!

I was just thinking about your initial concerns about the overlap between the 10-22 and the 17-55. I'm not sure if a week later it's still a concern, but I have the 10-22 and I find most of my shots are in the 10-14mm range (taking full advantage of the UWA), thus I find no issues with overlap with my 16-35 (migrating to FF shortly). YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by Raid View Post
    Hi Sheiky

I was under the impression (happy to be corrected) that the only "Partially Weather Sealed" lenses were the post 1999 designed white lenses?
    http://www.the-digital-picture.com/N....aspx?News=996

The only "Partially Weather Sealed" body is the 1D series.

Photog82

Good luck with your selection, I have been facing the same decision now for 6 months and I still cannot make up my mind.
    Hi Raid,

That news item (stemming from an email exchange I had with Chuck Westfall) applies only to lenses not officially designated as weather/dust resistant (the 24-105L is so-designated). You can identify sealed lenses by the rubber gasket at the lens mount, and lenses with that gasket also have sealed switches and zoom/focus rings. The point of the news item was that some lenses ( the pre-1999 white ones), which lack the mount gasket, do have sealing at the switches and zoom/focus rings (this isn't commonly known), and are thus partially sealed (as opposed to 'fully sealed').

Hope that clarifies...

John

Yup. John nailed it. My 400mm f/5.6L is only partially sealed.
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

Good to know I must say that weather-sealing for me proved to be more important than I'd ever imagined when I bought the lens. I've been out in a few rainy days, but more important I've had quite the amount of blowing sand and dust to my gear. In those occasions I felt a lot more secure with a weather-sealed lens on my camera. I have used the Sigma 50mm 1.4 in a sandy environment one time and there was sand all over the focus ring and it needed to be cleaned.
    In some occasions I didn't even worry about my gear and could pay more attention to taken the photos, which is a great thing. Example of an unsuspected sand-blasting:

Weathersealing ain't that bad by Jan Paalman, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Sheiky View Post
    Good to know I must say that weather-sealing for me proved to be more important than I'd ever imagined when I bought the lens. I've been out in a few rainy days, but more important I've had quite the amount of blowing sand and dust to my gear. In those occasions I felt a lot more secure with a weather-sealed lens on my camera. I have used the Sigma 50mm 1.4 in a sandy environment one time and there was sand all over the focus ring and it needed to be cleaned.
    In some occasions I didn't even worry about my gear and could pay more attention to taken the photos, which is a great thing. Example of an unsuspected sand-blasting:

Weathersealing ain't that bad by Jan Paalman, on Flickr
    Ha! Apparently this kid is a Nikon fan.