Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Canon 650D vs Canon 6D, new purchase

Yeah the 7D is nice, but noisy. Whatever noise-suppression magic they used in the 5D3, 1DX, and 6D has yet to make it into a crop body. I imagine a good chunk of Canon's 7D customers are just waiting for them to make the new crop sensor. Canon is in no rush, as their delays are just exerting pressure on people to move to the 5D3 instead.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEccleston View Post
    Whatever noise-suppression magic they used in the 5D3, 1DX, and 6D has yet to make it into a crop body.
    A lot of that noise-suppression isn't magic – it's the very nature of having a larger sensor with which to capture light. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEccleston View Post
    Yeah the 7D is nice, but noisy. Whatever noise-suppression magic they used in the 5D3, 1DX, and 6D has yet to make it into a crop body.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters View Post
    A lot of that noise-suppression isn't magic – it's the very nature of having a larger sensor with which to capture light. :-)
    Phrased differently, those full-frame lenses on a crop body are happy projecting lots of photons (light) onto areas of black plastic at the back of the mirror box, and the camera/sensor is powerless (dimensionless?) to do anything with them. Imagine looking at life through one of those white plastic slide holders (you know, the mounts you'd put your slide film into so you could then load them into a carousel slide projector). Imagine that the outer boundary of the holder is what your lens can see, but the inner opening is what the sensor is capturing.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Sean, there is magic, I think. I've been led to believe that there is a noticeable improvement in the latest 3 bodies, compared to the previous full frame sensors (I don't have the bodies on hand, feel free to send me a few!) For instance, I don't like to push my 1Ds2 beyond ISO1600, yet I see images from these new bodies at ISO25600 that are very usable. Some black-magic enabled a big jump in high-ISO usability, and that jump hasn't been done on crop sensors.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L